Grinding from front end...

drmoore71

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
houston, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Z-71 suburban
For starters, I have a '00 XLT SOHC 4x4 with stock TT'ed front end and Warrior shackels and AAL on the rear. It has recently developed a grinding from the front end under braking. Let me state from the get go that I have removed the wheels and taken a look at the rotors and pads and all four seem to be in good working order, plenty of pad and no scoring on the rotors at all. This grinding does not occur under braking from freeway speeds. It seems to come on only after driving at low speeds for a while, such as in stop and go traffic and during parking lot maneuvers. It was only coming from the drivers side for a time, but has recently begun on the passengers side as well. I have replaced the front rotors and all pads in the past year, and the upper control arms and lower ball joints in the past eighteen months. Otherwise, everything is stock and has travelled 152,000 miles. Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone? anyone?...Bueller?!?

Nobody has any input on this problem? Man, I thought I would get all kinds of help here. I would appreciate any shots in the dark, guys. Thanks!

doug

Try your wheel bearings(hub assemblies) I to had the same problem, think they run around 150 new, 80 or so at he junk yards.

Thanks, that's kinda the direction I was thinking. I guess it's time to twist some wrenches...

doug

How hard was it to replace them?

Try your wheel bearings(hub assemblies) I to had the same problem, think they run around 150 new, 80 or so at he junk yards.

X 2 had the same issue with mine. I had to replace both bearing units and they were about 150 ea. Im on my second set and after 2 years they havent gone out again, even with some (A-HEM) moderate off road use....

ALSO! Check the rear joint on your ft driveshaft... mine's al AWD, so this may not apply, but when it goes bad youll get a scraping noise just at the end of low speed stops (like parking lot manuvers) especially as you are turning. It sounds like its coming from the ft end, but its the D.S.

The arent hard to replace. you remove the Axle nut, brakes, and tap tha avle out of the bearing unit with a dead blow hammer. turn the wheels the proper way to gain access to the rear of the knuckle and the bolts that hold it on are in the back of the knuckle. You may want to pull the tie rod so you can get to them easier, but dont turn it.

Good luck! and remember to go easy on your axle (spinlde) nuts, I had to replace my rt half-shaft due to thread rust.

!SEEN IT!
The bearing will come apart (causing significant damage to the front end of your truck) if the axle nut is not holding well, so take those threads very seriously. :D

I would reccomend replacing the axles anyway, since your going to be tearing it down anyway, but thats just me, as hard as mine are used it pays off in the end.

Daniel

Thanks, Mutineer. I replaced all the u joints about two years ago, so those should be okay, i think. as for replacing axles, I think mine has been off road maybe ten times in its life, so I really don't see a need to replace those, what do you think? I really appreciate your info and will be tackling this project soon. Thanks again!

doug

I really don't see a need to replace those(axles), what do you think? doug

If they arent leaking grease or making noise (another possible cause for you, especially if they get wet often)no need to change them.

I change mine often as I can so i dont have to worry about breaking them, mine get submerged and muddy and beat to death on a regular basis. My SAS will cure the issue though :D

Daniel

Thanks, that's kinda the direction I was thinking. I guess it's time to twist some wrenches...

doug

How hard was it to replace them?

Not a difficult job, although I did have a heck of a time getting the rotor off, I ended up using a long flat tip screwdriver in between the cooling slots on the rotor and a hammer to hit the side of the hammer rotating the position of the screwdriver every so often to equally slide it off. other than than the job was simple.

Back