• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire Mod Messed up my X??

J1211c

Reaction score
City, State
Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Baurer
I did the brown wire mod back couple months ago, everything worked fine. About a month later i had a noise coming from what seemed to be the transfer case. The noise went away and came back i re-did the mod checking the connections to make sure it wasnt half engaging. The noise seemed to go away.

Another month passed and i began to get a louder noise i brought it into the shop today they lifted the explorer up and noticed the wheels were wobbly and concluded that it was the bearing without taking anything off.

my question to you guys is could the brown wire mod have messed up something to cause this??

Thanks in Advance

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No.

Its an explorer.. Seems like every junkyard i go to has the wheel bearings missing off them and i did the brown wire mod for about 2 years before i killed the transfer case on a rock ledge with to much right pedal. No issues.

Check your tie-rods. You can check the issues yourself..

Jack up truck via jack point on arm or where your choose as long as the tire is free. Grab the tire firmly and take it left to right while watching the tie-rod.. if you see if move then its them. Move it up and down. Watching the Ball joints if they move its them. If the tire wobbles around and none of the above was bad then.. its the wheel hub assembly.

If it moves at the tie-rod but the outer doesn't move then the inner is bad. etc..

None of these parts are hard to change. I did my drivers side tie-rods in about 25 minutes. You'll want to get an alignment afterwards unless your karma is good like mine and you get it right the first time.

From what I know of the brown wire mod is that the transfer case is either engaged or not if it is half engaged then there is a problem with the transfer case. While the bearings is in the drive train but bearings going out is not a result of transfer case usage, it is a result of usage. just driving an Ex on the street causes wear on the bearings. Bearings are a wear item, unlike other vehicles explorer bearing are not serviceable.

Tim

So they are in no way related.. thats a relief.

what exactly is a brown wire mod?

Brown wire mod is when you run a switch through the power to the transfer case. When the switch is "off" then there is no power = no front wheel drive making it only rear wheel drive increasing gas millage and allowing you to do rear wheel drive driving funn stuff. When the switch is "on" you are back to stock.:salute:

Back