• Register Today It's free!

Check engine light flashing...

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I have noticed a ticking sound over the past couple of days from my explorer, louder that the usual exhaust leak tick. I checked all fluids and gave the engine area a good once over. Everything looked good. Well, last night I felt it start to bog down slightly while going down the highway. It felt like It was not sure weather or not it wanted to keep speed, then the light came on. The check engine light started flashing. I was almost home so I kept going and the light stopped flashing and stayed on. (This might not mean anything, but The catalytic conv. and O2 sensor look like they are burned) Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think i felt the same thing today! My check engine light didnt come on, but it felt weird.

Get the codes read..

Get the codes read. Also visit the "Under the Hood" forum and there are computer subforums there where you can learn a lot.

Blee ya beat me by a nose.

i would bet your cat is shot and it clogged...but first, get your codes...

Got my code read and it said that cylinder #3 misfired. It runs alright, but still feels like it lacks full power on the highway.

I believe the CEL only flashes for a misfire as you found out.....

Back