• Register Today It's free!

Welding Question???

naxel86

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, Nebraska/Herndon, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Ok, so Im thinking that I want to make a roof rack for my X, but I was planning on making it piece by piece. I want to put the pieces on and tack weld them in place, then take them off and finish the weld. Is it safe without frying the computer to weld something on your explorer? What do I have to do when I weld? Like unhook the battery? Anything else? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should unhook the battery when welding to be safe. Other than that, just keep your ground near where you are welding.

Shouldn't...I've welded on many vehicles without frying a computer yet.

I made a roof rack in the manner you are describing without any issues. I used one of those Harbor Freight cheapo welding blankets to protect the paint. Tacked it all up, removed it, finish welded and cleaned up, then painted. Came out great. I used 3/4" conduit for the main frame and 1/2" for cross bars. Its strong enough to stand on and not very heavy.
The rack build starts on page 50 of my build thread, post 995

Just a note to be extremely cautious welding conduit that isn’t aluminum or stainless. (Most isnt) it’s extremely hazardous to breathe the fumes, though it can be done safety.

I ground all the galvanizing off the weld area. Prior to painting, you can sand it by hand or etch the surface by wiping it down with white vinegar to help the paint stick.

I ground all the galvanizing off the weld area. Prior to painting, you can sand it by hand or etch the surface by wiping it down with white vinegar to help the paint stick.
Absolutely. I assumed you treated it before, but didn’t want someone getting the idea they could just grab the harbor freight welder and get to burning some pipe.

Back