MountaineerGreen's Front Suspension Rehab / Diff Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MountaineerGreen's Front Suspension Rehab / Diff Swap

After some creeper time, I think I found part of my problem:

I found this picture on here and compared the axle position to mine relative to the other suspension components and the factory crossmember.

5871ron_s_explorer_-_underside_from_front_7-20-02.jpg

It appears my "torque bracket" is tweaked a little, pulling the diff to the passenger side by 1/4" to 1/2", appearently just enough to pull a CV apart at extended travel. This bracket is above the smaller red box in the picture below

lift3_003_Medium_1.jpg

I am going to remove the bracket without removing the diff, beat it into submission.

I am still going to run limit straps.

I can't believe that this never was an issue before, I have had it flexed out before. Never with the say bar disconnected before though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was debating about a SAS or keep my IFS. Even though my Ex isn't a year round DD. I do drive it often during the winter months. What I looked at is how many other vehicles on the road have SAS. Most all Jeeps and nearly all the 4x4s before 1980 have SASs. So what would be the big deal. As long as the SAS is properly installed you should have ho problems.

Tim

What I looked at is how many other vehicles on the road have SAS. Most all Jeeps and nearly all the 4x4s before 1980 have SASs.
Those arent SAS's.. just SA's :D

Dixon Brothers long travel--:thumbsup:

I know it's down the road--

Looks like the problem has been found-are you just going to whack the crap out of it?

Dixon Brothers long travel--:thumbsup:

I know it's down the road--

Looks like the problem has been found-are you just going to whack the crap out of it?

Pfft Arron Dixon and i played football in high school together.

Wow- :eek: I guess I got off lucky with just a CV (EDIT: or three)

I think I am going to call Superlift and see what they say tomorrow. Maybe they can suggest a length for limit straps :dunno:

Screw that... call and demand that they send you a pair. Explain to them how their kit has cost you 3 CV's and almost completely disabaled your truck in Moab.

I work in Service Engineering so I know how to be a PITA and make a company feel the customer's pain ;) :D

^^ good idea. Im curious to see what they say

Just remember not to tell them you bought it used...

Screw that... call and demand that they send you a pair. Explain to them how their kit has cost you 3 CV's and almost completely disabaled your truck in Moab.

I work in Service Engineering so I know how to be a PITA and make a company feel the customer's pain ;) :D

Oh yeah, and tell them that they obviously found the flaw and fixed it as a product improvement which is BS because it puts the expense on you AND they didn't even tell you. Tell them that you expect them to send you a pair of limit straps otherwise you expect them to campaign your lift kit to the newest production parts as you feel it is no longer safe and is now an inferior product.

I hear that one from the field ALL the friggin' time :p:

Ok, lookie at what I acquired today:

vacdiscodiff_001_Medium_.jpg

vacdiscodiff_002_Medium_.jpg

That's correct- you are seeing a 1996, 4.10 geared vacuum disconnect diff, the hoses, vacuum globe and two CV axles. Got it all from under a 96 Eddie. I had to pull it myself, but it was only $150 :D I was able to pull it all in 1.5 hours.

This will be installed when I remove the torque bracket to straighten it out and realign the front differential.

This serves two purposes:

1. I can kick out the front diff when turning tight turns in 4 low on relatively solid surfaces like is common at Moab, reducing the strain on the CV's. 2 WD low!

2. Fuel economy, I got 19.6 MPG on the way home with the CV disconnected at 70-75 MPH! This will allow me to selectively disconnect the front end, stopping the front driveshaft from turning at all times. Apparently, that rotating mass is quite a drag on my drive train.

The plan is this:

Replace both inner tie rods, the boots on the outter tie rods. Replace both upper A arms with Moog parts. Install and connect the vac disco front diff and both CV's. Then, rotate tires and get an alignment. I am going to put a nice looking switch with an indicator light on my radio bezel where the 4wd switch would be.

I am going to put a nice looking switch with an indicator light on my radio bezel where the 4wd switch would be.

attachment.php

Thats how I set mine up, and its labeled already lol. Left is disconnected, middle is neutral, right is engaged. I usually have to flip it back and forth a few times to get the lights to stop blinking though.

Thats how I set mine up, and its labeled already lol. Left is disconnected, middle is neutral, right is engaged. I usually have to flip it back and forth a few times to get the lights to stop blinking though.

What is the difference between disconnected and neutral? I just see a vacuum disconnect as being a binary function ~ its either engaged or its not

:monkey: :scratch:

Well, I didnt have to use a 3 stage switch, but I think thats all I could find at the time? Or maybe I did it like that so it would have 3 settings like stock would have? I dont remember LOL..

Anyway, if I engage the axle and then move it to "neutral" it will stay engaged. Same if I dis-engage it and move it to neutral it will stay dis-engaged.

I think it helps kill the flashing 4wd lights that the gem sends out but its been so long since I used it I dont remember :confused:

Well, it seem that I have had lots of opportunity to practice lately, not so much by choice.

Oh, I am still going to run limit straps. I forgot to mention that in my post above.

Well your problem got be worried because I have the same lift and with no swaybars, the manual 1354 tcase and a front Powertrax I am all locked up all the time when I go into 4low, though I have had no problems yet. So I just called Superlift and spoke with Dave. He is going to send me some of their limiting straps no charge. He said the straps are now included because people were running longer travel shocks than the Superlift shocks that come with the kit and breaking axles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so you drove home from moab with no CV? i thought the bearings would seperate if the CV and it's 32mm 175 lb/ft nut weren't together?

i've been running around for the past year with no diff and half CV's. i chopped them so there is no axle shaft or upper joint on them. just enough to pop em in and secure that beastly nut on it.

Back