• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Exploded

lofton316

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
:roll: :( I knew it was hot so i just opened the hood and to let it cool off, the engine was off and about 20 minutes later BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounded Like a car accident, I was in the car with some friends listening to the radio, and as soon as i turned on the wipers to clean the winshield thats when it happend. I thought it was the battery or soemthing, i just sae a bunch of white smoke and told everyone to get out the car. it was smoking for about 30 minutes. After the smoke cleared i saw the part that holds the radiator hose to the engine torn apart from the radiator. you can see inside the side of the radiator, so the whole thing has to be replaced, and the hose.

How much does a junk yard radiator usally cost? And how hard is it to take the radiator off.

I guess the T.stat was messed up or something. The fan is worn so i think that needs to be replaced also.:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dunno if I would want to use a junk yard radiator.. might have to try a couple before you found one that didnt leak.

when I replaced mine I got a new one at radiatorbarn.com cost 130ish for the one for auto transmissions. and when the first one arrived damaged they took it back and sent a new one no problem.

I dunno if I would want to use a junk yard radiator.. might have to try a couple before you found one that didnt leak.

when I replaced mine I got a new one at radiatorbarn.com cost 130ish for the one for auto transmissions. and when the first one arrived damaged they took it back and sent a new one no problem.

its not hard to put in?

An easy job, the fan removal would be very hard though, it takes a special tool, Autozone, etc. Good luck,

For chrisake do not reuse the radiator cap!

I did my rad and didn`t have to remove the fan (manual rad), you do need a special tool for that if you have to get it off. You have to take the fan shroud off of course, and once you get that and unbolt the bracket above the rad, all you have to do is undo the hose that is still on and it pulls right out.

-new rad cap is advised, sounds like you had more pressure than the cap should have allowed. usually when you turn the engine off the pressure and excess coolant will drain off into your coolant reservoir past the pressure relief afforded by that cap.

pretty easy job, I did it myself, I did remove the fan, just makes it easier to work, with more room

tool is a giant flat wrench, just tell the guy at autozone you want to rent it, they'll charge ya for it and refund it when you bring it back.

if your on the original fan clutch it might need replacing, can go ahead and do that if you take the fan out.

that happened on my old dodge after i pulled a trailer that weighed 2000 pounds and a yamaha rhino 80 miles up hill....my thermastat didnt open and when i turned the truck off and walked away it went boom luckly it was a hose. good luck.

Back