Drivetrain Shops in Southern NH

xwhaler

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hoping someone in the area can give me a good recomendation here:

My truck (2000 Ford Explorer 4wd) has been giving me trouble for a while now. What started off as a slight vibration at highway speeds has turned into a loud harmonic vibration at all speeds, both on the gas and coasting.

I’m pretty handy with auto repair so last weekend I took off the drive shafts and put on new U-Joints. That didn’t solve the problem.

Doing a little more reading online, the next logical step was to inspect the CV Joints. Took those out this weekend and the passenger side was really bad….one of the bearings inside was shot and would definitely cause some vibration.

The drivers side seemed fine but since I had the parts and had it out, I put the new one in there as well.

I then rotated the tires……still the same loud harmonic vibration.

While the CV Joint definitely needed replacing, its definitely something else…..Everything I’ve since read online has led me to believe that I may have messed up the differential…..I think that the vibration caused by the busted CV Joint led to stress elsewhere.

The loud noise is definitely coming from the front of the truck and we have determined its not engine related (like a vacuum leak or anything.)

Its definitely drive train related----I’m thinking it’s the diff but possibly the tranny, tho the truck shifts fine.

Without having a lift and more experience, I’m hesitant to go any further with this thing in the hopes of finding the problem.

I don’t want to take it to a Ford Dealer just to have them monkey around and charge me for looking at the things I’ve already replaced (u joints and cv joints will be the two 1st things they will think of when they drive the truck)

I’d love for someone to be able to diagnose the problem quickly and not throw parts at the problem hoping to figure it out that way.

I’d like to find someone local (independent shop) that works primarily on drive trains…..diffs and transmissions…having someone that has experience on Ford Explorers would be ideal.

I’ve read very good things about a guy down in Hampstead named Dominic who works primarily on installing solid axles and off roading parts on Jeeps. He seems to be the local guru for guys looking to throw heavy duty off road parts on their trucks and is supposedly very fair and knowledgeable.

I’d rather have someone look at the truck with a focus on drive train’s and 4x4 parts rather than the “do it all auto mechanic”

http://www.domenicsautoandjeep.com/

My symptoms are almost identical to this thread here but the member didnt seem to get a resolution.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163992&highlight=harmonic+vibration

Any advice or local shop recomendations would be greately appreciated.
Thanks,
-Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the sound/feeling more like a jackhammer coming through the floorboards? If so its a wheel bearing assembly that needs to be replaced.

Thanks...we have checked wheel bearings as well here and they are fine.

Izwack great call......it ended up being the Wheel Bearings.
We did check them but apparently not the right way.

Regardless, 00 XLT back in business....105k and still plenty of life left I hope.

The guy I took it to, Domenic in Hampstead, NH was great if anyone ever needs anything done. The Jeep guys (who recomended him to me) were right!

Fantastic -- glad your vehicle is back in business.

Back