March 17th 2001 trail ride to GWNF | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

March 17th 2001 trail ride to GWNF

UPDATE

Only 3 of us actually made the trails: me, Steve, and Paul. What happened to you guys that didn't come?

I have lots of pictures that I will post a link to once I get them developed and scanned. I don't have time to tell about the trails because I have to leave for work now. I can say that I was definitely the rookie though.
BTW, remove step bars before going on trails! Mine are now bashed all to $H!T from hitting rocks!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whoops

that was supposed to be a :( not a :) I'm sad for my nerf bars...they were only 2 weeks old:(

Couldn't make it

Wanted to, but we went to closing on our house and had a few loose ends to tie up this weekend. Figures! Can't wait to see the pics. Sorry about your bars. I couldn't even let everyone know cuz the forum was down...sorry. Didn't mean to leave anyone hanging! Only 3, huh. Guess I wasn't alone. Hope you all had fun.

the happenings

Well because the board was down, some work, and a mechanical problem only three of us made it. But we had a good time.

John, Paul N and myself met at 10am, although because the site was down I forgot what time and was shooting for 9:30. Brian (RU MAN) rode up to Harrisonburg with John on Friday and had some transmission trouble so didnt even make it to the meeting point. The three of us waited for a while and headed out at 10.30 or so to Kephart.

We went out to Kephart and ran to the rock climb. Paul and I attempted it both sucessfully and without damage. John was warned off by Brian I guess and was watching and learning(smart) I took a line between what I did last time and where Donkey Boy attempted - seemed pretty good, only close part was at the tree on the left at the top. Paul took the same line just a little faster. We went on up to where the trail is washed out and turned around to head out. On the way we did a side trail(this one dead ends also) which had a couple of creek crossings that provided some challange- took a few tries for John and some good wheel placement since everything was really wet from the rain the day before. We went up and then back out and stopped for lunch- same place we saw some hunters camping/shooting on the last trip.
After lunch we headed out and up the road to Second mountain. Stopped at the entrance to ask a resident if the gate was open and he said yes, so we headed up. I dont remember it being so steep( Ive usually just gone down on previous trips.) well just past the forest service gate my trans started to slip and shortly after that John says on the radio "that doesnt look good" looked out my rearview and see smoke. So I stopped and trans fluid was leaking, check the level its a bit low. I decided that rather than risk further damage I would call it a day.So we all headed back down into Harrisonburg. Drove home with Paul following most of the way- stopped a couple of times to check the trans. Seems like it may have just overheated, since it was ok on the way home and I drove today wioth no problems- good call Paul.

Sorry most of you didnt make it- next time. I have some pictures that I will see if I can scan and post. John if you want some hard copies send me an address off list.
Paul, John sorry I cut the trip short- just thought it would be wiser to head back before I got too far into the trail and would have to be towed out if something catastrophic(sp?)happened.

No matter what I had a great time and it was good to meet you John and Desiree, and to see you again Paul. Look forward to next time.

Nerf Bars

Hey John thats what the nerf bars are for. Did you see the rocker panels on my passenger side? Thats what no nerf bars - and a dose of stupidity- will get you. The nerfs are much cheaper than repairing body damage!!!

Look forward to riding with you again. I hope you and Desiree had fun.

Thanks

Kephart sounds like a fun ass trail! Man, Im bummed i missed that one, well ill be back soon, thats for sure, Second moutaint and long run road are nice. But How big was the explorer who mashed the nerfs? Im going to get some shortly but ive only rubbed the rockers a few times and the only rocks i hit were on the differentials. Anyone know a company that makes nice 1 1/2 inch tubing and thick. I might just weld some outa 1 inch sqaure tubing, so when we doing it again???

JayR
I'm the one with the smashed nerf bars. Stock suspension '95 4-door with 31x10.50 tires.

SteveVB
You're right. I didn't look at it that way. I'm just gonna fix the brackets and put them back on. Battle scars is what I'll call it.
Me and Desiree had loads of fun. She thought it would be really dumb, but actually enjoyed it a lot. I will go again next time if I can get off of work again.

anyone doubting an Explorer's off road capabilities
Believe in your Explorer. A million and one different times I was thinking there's no way I'm gonna go over, through, up that. Each time (took a few tries on one bank) I was able to make it. I now trust my Explorer to get me through stuff I never thought possible. It's actually quite an incredible vehicle. I am very impressed.

my report
The trip was very fun. I did get stuck once and had trouble another time. Both were my fault. (rookie mistakes)
I got stuck by paying too much attention to the scenery and not enough attention to what I was doing. I missed my intended line down a bank and lifted a wheel on each end. Steve and Paul stood on my back bumper to push the rear wheel down and I got out without any trouble.
I had a lot of trouble making it up a steep bank after crossing a stream. (big rookie mistake here) I was not taking the correct line and not giving it enough gas. Steve was telling me what to do, but because I could not see what he was talking about from inside the vehicle, I kept getting stuck as I started up the bank. I should have gotten out and looked, but stupidity on my part made my just keep trying. I finally got out and looked at what Steve was telling me and saw the rock he was talking about that I needed to get traction off of before I turned the wheel to go up the hill. After looking at what he was showing me and listening to his advice on how much gas to give it, I made it right up the bank. If I had just gotten out and listened to start with, I probably wouldn't have had so much trouble.

I have to give the credit for doing as well as I did to Steve. He was a great spotter. He gave me directions on what line to take and watched for me as I attempted some not-so-easy obstacles. Watching Paul up close as he went up everything also helped a lot. Since they were both very patient and helpful, I was able to make it through the day much better than I had expected.

I should have the pictures back from being developed by Wednesday. If my friend lets me borrow his scanner, I'll have them up Thursday. Hopefully they'll turn out okay.

BTW, it was nice meeting you Paul and Steve. Thanks to you guys I had lots of fun and learned a few things while I was at it.

Good to hear you had a great time :D I e-mailed Steve on Friday that I will need to spend my week-end in the office instead of on the trails and that there is no way I will make it. Bummer :fire: But business is good at the moment :bounce:

But what happened to all the others? I mean, Steve puts a lot of dedication into these trips, so it's not that fair towards him just not showing up. At least inform him that you woun't be there! Got-it? For next time? ;)

Will I'm glad ya'll had a good time. I was so mad that I couldn't meet ya'll. I got all the way up to Harrisonburg on Fri and stayed the night, and got up, packed my stuff in the truck, check all the fluids and what do you, my trans was leaking. What a good time for that to happen, only after put 11,000 mile on a new trans. But i decided that it would be smart not to go. But i drive it home, after putting 1/2 a gallon of trans fluid in it along the way. I think its the seal on the bell housing. Now my mom has decided for me that i have to sell it. So i guess i won't be going up there until i get out of college and buy me another X. But hey i had a good time last time. lata

Pics?

pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics please :D

Scanner probs

Ive got pics but I am having trouble getting them scanned, and havnt made the time to figure it out. Maybe by the end of the week- I sorting through my tax situation - not good $$$$$- and will need a break, so when I get really fed up with it Ill see about the scanning.

I know John was having scanner problems also, and he has some pics.

Be on the look out for May 19th trail clean-up ride with OCC - Ill post a new thread with details soon.

Anybody know of a place that I can just take them some pictures and have them put them on a CD for cheap? I won't be able to resolve my scanner problem for at least 2 more weeks. (the guy that lets me use his is on vacation)

NO PROB!!!

John you meet me one day, or send to me the good ones in the mail, and i'll scan them for ya. Actually i would rather meet so you can bring that tie down.haha Just let me know what you want to do. lata

When/where would you want to meet? I just cleaned out my Explorer the other day and was wondering when I would be able to get that tie down back to you.

i MIGHT be coming home this weekend. if i do i well let you know. lata

Can you do mine?

John, If you do get to use a scanner do the pics I sent. Doesnt look like I have much hope with the machine I have.

Thanks

I'll give him all of them to scan. Then I'll put them on photopoint so you can get them from there.
BTW, do you know how to get in touch with Paul? I would like to see his pictures also.

Hey All!

I meant to throw in my two cents sooner, but I've been on travel most of the past two weeks. Anyway, here goes....

It was a great run, as usual - Thanks Steve! Steve and John have pretty much covered all of the run - it was a good couple of trails with enough challenges to keep things interesting. John commented on his "rookie mistakes" - I prefer to think of them as learning experiences. Each time out builds confidence and lets you learn about the capabilities and limitations of your vehicle. It's been several years since I did much wheelin' so I don't feel like I'm much further along than John (but it helps to have a truck you only paid $800 for and that doesn't have a straight panel on it!). I can say I was less timid this time out - last time (my first with Steve) I stuck to the main trail and skipped a couple of hills rather than embarass myself. It was nice to have a smaller, and all Ford, group this time. I did learn not to be afraid to ask for a spot - just after telling Steve that I could make it back down the water fall, I dropped the left front into a hole and made like a teeter-totter as the right rear came off the ground. It felt a lot more unstable from the cab than it actually was, but I backed up and let Steve guide me through anyway. Guess that's what these group runs are all about...

As for pictures - I should pick them up tomorrow and I'll see how they came out. My seven year old shot most of them and he wasn't holding the camera very still on a few, so we'll see. John - I added my e-mail to my profile, so drop me a line and I'll be glad to send copies.

Steve - Pencil me in for the clean-up on May 19th. It's my daughter's turn to ride along and the timing looks good...

Thanks for a great run, Steve and John. The rest of you missed a good outing...

Hey guys, any pics? I'd love to see what I missed. Maybe if you guys have another run, could it be any vehicle, as long as its people from the board. By some miracle, I'll have a vehicle I won't mind pounding offroad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a bump and wondered if there's any pics yet of this last run.

Back