New rotors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New rotors?

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
As I'm slowing to a stop the Ex seems to rock as it slows...don't know how to best describe it...oh, as if the rotors are warped! Got 125K+, never changed the rotors. Time to do so? Inspected pads and they've got plenty remaining.

What set do I need specifically? '97, ABS, AWD.

Tks. r.s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I'd say it's time. With 125k, it must be flat where you live. I've bought the heavy duty NAPA rotors for a couple of my vehicles. I like them real well and they don't cost a ton.

Definitely time! I've been happy with both Wagner (from Acme Auto) and Prostop (PepBoys).

I know you said you had a lot of life left in the pads, but if you have the extra cash to spare I would say to change the pads too. If the rotors are warped, the pads are probably not wearing that well right now. Also, why throw on on pads with brand new rotors?

if you have extra money to spend i will get 4 new rotors and pads.i'm using powerslot with hawk brake pads for 2 years now and i never had any problem since, even when i was towing for 17 hours they never let me down.

if you don't want to spend too much money just turn the 2 front rotors, get new brake pads for them and you should be fine.

if you have extra money to spend i will get 4 new rotors and pads.i'm using powerslot with hawk brake pads for 2 years now and i never had any problem since, even when i was towing for 17 hours they never let me down.

if you don't want to spend too much money just turn the 2 front rotors, get new brake pads for them and you should be fine.

Like everyone stated go for pads as well. New pads on new rotors will last you another 125k miles. HAHA

Where are people buying hawk pads from? My local autopart store doesnt carry them.

Rotors and pads

I am running cross drilled and slotted rotors i got off of ebay...there R1 concepts....also running Hawk brake pads, got them at PepBoys....the combination works great....the Explorer has never stopped so good.

Also running Edelbrock Performer IAS shockes, Energy Suspension poly bushings all the way around. 96 2 door 2wd Sport

I am running cross drilled and slotted rotors i got off of ebay...there R1 concepts....also running Hawk brake pads, got them at PepBoys....the combination works great....the Explorer has never stopped so good.

Also running Edelbrock Performer IAS shockes, Energy Suspension poly bushings all the way around. 96 2 door 2wd Sport

hotrod - which HAWK pads are you using. Tire rack has a few diefferent ones. Mine would be for daily driving.
thanks

brake pads

Hey Vinniety, I am running the Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) pads. They are kinda pricey, but in my opinion, well worth the money. My X stops on a dime and gives you change. I am not sure how they will work with stock rotors...im sure way better that OE type.

Anyone know where I can get a set of stainless brake lines for the X? Just want them to replace the stock rubber ones at the caliper....thanks

I think explorerexpress has stainless lines. I'm useing r1concepts rotors and Raybestos pro pads and my x stops crazy fast. I installed them then drove cross country fully loaded and it stoped about as well as it did with stock pads. granted it wasn't like towing something but I probably had 2000lbs worth of stuff in the truck. LOT'S of tools and cloths and stuff hanging off the x everywhere the whole drive.

Back