• Register Today It's free!

What's this sound?....

steveinslo

Reaction score
City, State
San Luis Obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
OK...new here but I have a mystery sound on my 02 Mountaineer V8 AWD. Sounds like a catalytic converter rattle but when it's up on the rack it sounds like it's coming from the bell housing. I've had transmission shops look at it and drive it. I've had muffler shops look at it. And I've had my mechanic look at it. They all say it sounds like a cat rattle but with the stethoscope it appears to be at the rear of the engine or where it meets the transmission. It sounds sort of like a cement mixer. It seems to start at the beginning of each gear and then it sort of goes away before it shifts into the next gear. It seems to be gone at around 40mph when it's done shifting. The pitch seems to remain the same at all RPMs. The tranny shops say the flex plate is fine and they say it doesn't sound like a "typical" torque converter issue.
Is there a heat shield somewhere near there that we all may be missing?
Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated. Driving me nuts because the car runs and shifts great.
Thanks,
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK...new here but I have a mystery sound on my 02 Mountaineer V8 AWD. Sounds like a catalytic converter rattle but when it's up on the rack it sounds like it's coming from the bell housing. I've had transmission shops look at it and drive it. I've had muffler shops look at it. And I've had my mechanic look at it. They all say it sounds like a cat rattle but with the stethoscope it appears to be at the rear of the engine or where it meets the transmission. It sounds sort of like a cement mixer. It seems to start at the beginning of each gear and then it sort of goes away before it shifts into the next gear. It seems to be gone at around 40mph when it's done shifting. The pitch seems to remain the same at all RPMs. The tranny shops say the flex plate is fine and they say it doesn't sound like a "typical" torque converter issue.
Is there a heat shield somewhere near there that we all may be missing?
Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated. Driving me nuts because the car runs and shifts great.
Thanks,
Steve

Kinda sounds like my problem goes away after bout 42mph and threw all gears at low rpms..then when its in park and you rev it you can still hear it...well i found out that it was my connecting rods...so i need a new block!

I don't think the sound changes with engine temperature. What would that indicate?

I can hear the sound when I rev it in park but it is much louder when I have it in gear. How much is a new block going to run you?

Interesting thing...today I was walking down the street and an Explorer that looked to be the same generation as my Mountaineer drove by slowly. It sounded exactly like mine! Maybe that's the way their supposed to sound?

yeh probably huh! I'm having someone else look at it tomorrow.

I have an '03 Explorer Limited w/AWD and it does the same thing. I havent had time to take it in to be looked at, so please post if you find anything out about it! And please dont tell me its a bad engine block!

I just dropped it off at a very reputable shop. First thing they all said was "sure sounds like an exhaust issue to me". Now I'm waiting for them to call me after they've had it up on the lift.
I walked by another V8 today that I swear sounds the same.
I'll let you know what these guys say.

They said it's not an engine problem. It's going to the transmission shop on Monday. Hopefully it's not too serious. I'll post the results.
Just curious...they said it's $700 just to remove and inspect it. I'm in small town california so I think prices are a bit higher but is that comparable to other shops?
Also, it's a highly recommended small local shop. I was going to go to AAMCO but I feel they may sell me on more than I need. Is that correct?

I think that I'd want a diagnosis from the dealership before I commited to a $700 inspection at a tranny shop. Did you buy it new? How far out of warranty are you? If you got it from a Ford dealer you could take it there and see if they will work with you on price for at least a scan for trouble codes. Good luck!

Yes it is...there are only 2 in my area on the site. They are the 2 shops I went to. I guess that's a good thing right?

Thanks for the link!!

You could find out if there are any complaints listed for them. Tell them that you saw them listed on ATRA. Maybe they will give you better service? You could also mention that if you are satisfied with them, you will recommend them on this site, and submit a recommendation to the ATRA site as well.

OK thanks. I'll do that. Thanks so much for all the help!

Same old same old with ford transmissions - I had an 1993 explorer and the tranny went a year after the warranty expired. Paid $2300 cnd in 1994, now my 03 is making the same noise you have and I'm getting ready to take it in. That's why I got the extended warrant this time but it still makes me PO'ed.
Let us know what you find out

Rob

I had 2 Expeditions before this and both went to 130k miles without a problem. Different tranny than the newer Explorer/Mountaineers (i think) but still...I thought this car would be the same. I'll let you all know what the turnout is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had that same noise in my 96. The garage thought that it was my catalytic converter but, it ended up being my flywheel fgoing bad. Check that out.

Back