• Register Today It's free!

Anyone in PA?

rikguy

Reaction score
City, State
Altoona, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I've been having a problem for a few years now and it's just now beginning to get worse.
See old thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106399

Is there anyone in PA (near Altoona) that would like to help me diagnose this problem? My ex is getting to the point where if it's too costly to fix, it's going to be sold.
1996 xlt 4wd. 4.0 auto. 153k miles. noise in the front end.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, RICK.

and by near, I looking within a couple of hours drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live in Erie, little too far of a drive, plus I'd feel like a heel if we couldn't fix it. I read your problem and just taking a few shots-in-the-dark. First, I don't remember reading if you stated noise was coming from front or rear of vehicle? Obviously, there's something 'harmonic' about this if it only happens within a narrow speed range. Some clearance (slop) issues or balance issue somewhere? Just some other things to look at: 1) Brake calipers not releasing fully or some run-out on the rotors because of warpage or rotor placed on hub and some rust/dirt got jammed behind it causing it to wobble. Does it go away if you maintain speed then step on the brakes? Any pulsating in pedal? 2) axle nuts not on tight enough 3) Front/rear differential low on lube 4) Worn drive-shaft U joints and/or loss of a balance weight from the shaft. That's about all I can think of... This would be a lot easier to diagnose if it were on my car (Porsche 944) "Thumping" noise at certain speeds is a classical symptom of a failing wheel bearing, usually rear.

Lizard,
the noise is in the front. There is no pulsing in the pedal the brakes and rotors are all fine. I've changed out both of the front wheel bearings and upper and lower ball joints. The noise does not change when you step on the brakes. It's most noticable at 30-40 mph. at higher speeds I can't hear/feel it. I've had new tires and rotated the tires. Alignment too.
Any and all suggestions will be welcomed.
THANKS.
~Rick~

Have you changed tires? Not just rotated, but a complete new set.

yeah, I had a set of tires on a contour that did that, but when I braked I could feel it in the pedal.

is it 4wd? if so, this is a little off the wall, but it could be possible that your front gears are not lashed properly, but I would think that would hum all the time though. Along the same lines check your CV joints

I see that you said you aligned the wheels, but did you have them balanced as well, that will also cause a hum. and it is very harmonic at certain speeds, oh and you wouldn't feel it when braking.

yes, I've had new tires, balanced, rotated and aligned. I don't feel anything in the brakes at all.
Yes, it's 4wd. I had the tranfer case rebuilt a few months ago. I'll have to look into the cv joints. How can you tell if they're bad or going bad?
Everyone that hears the noise thinks it bearings but, I've already replaced both sides.

did the noise start after the t-case was rebuilt?

no, I've had the noise for 3 years. Since no one could figure out what it was, I was waiting to see what would break. Now the noise seems to be getting more noticeable.

no, I've had the noise for 3 years. Since no one could figure out what it was, I was waiting to see what would break. Now the noise seems to be getting more noticeable.

Sounds like a dry CV boot. It can make noise for a long time before failing completely.

I haven't replaced tie rods and didn't look at the cv boots/joint. 'll check them oput tonight. I'm headed to Pittsburgh sometime this week. Maybe something will give on the roadtrip :(

Well Rick your noise sounds like what a going to take a dump CV joint would sound like? or maybe an auto Hub bearing problem.
What side of your EX does this seem to be coming from if any? I would suggest that you stop replacing parts until some reasonable diagnosis is attained that will cut unnecessary spending way down!
E-mail me with some of the info I asked about and I feel certain we can solve this rather common EX problem, that being "front-end noises"

UPDATE: Tonight I pulled both front wheels to check out the cv boots/joints. everything looked good. No tears in the boots, no grease leaking, nothing was loose. The drivers side wheel bearing ws a little loose. Maybe this is the cause or at least part of the cause. I have replaced both front bearing within the last 3 years (at different times). This problem was occuring before I replaced them and still was there after they were replaced. Maybe I got a bad bearing from autozone? Is it worth another $160 to replace the bearing? I guess that needs done regardless if it's bad.
Any other thoughts?

Rik, I'm just down the road from you in McVeytown (next to Lewistown). If you want to bring it by my place, you're welcome to. I've had a "little" experience with Explorers...:D

Thanks Jeff, that would be great. I sent you a message.

Keep us posted on the outcome!

I'll do that. The last time I swapped out a front wheel bearing it did not effect the feel/noise in the fron end. SO even though there is a little play in the bearing again, I don't think that it's the entire problem.

I'm from by lewistown too, just a little bit of play in the bearings could cause a good noise usually you can feel a rumble in the steering a little bit tho. Good luck with it when you take it to McVeytown hopefully nothing breaks lose thats like an hour and a half to 2 hour drive.

me and my buddy troy (huntr) both live in altoona, and we both work on our explorers often. i have a 01, so our explorers should be the same. PM me, we'll see what we can do

Thanks reakon. I had Jdraper take a look last weekend and I should know the outcome later today. I switched out all all upper and lower ball joints. I took it for an aligment this morning. so - when I pick it up after work, I'll know if it's fixed or not.
Don't worry, somethings always wrong with my truck so I'll be looking you guys up for help in the near future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keep us informed on the outcome, this will be a vital thread if someone has the problem in the future. Glad to hear you may have it all squared away!!

Back