Total oil drip! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Total oil drip!

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
I was driving on the higway at 60 mph and suddenly my oil dripped all on the highway. It have oil from the valve cover gasket down to the oil pan and with wind it sure goes all the way to the back of the truck. The oil got out from the driver side. What gasket or seal can break down suddenly like that to spill all of my oil on the ground? The head gaskets was changed in 2005 but the engine have 200 000 kilometers. Is it possible that it cam from the o-ring of oil pressure sending unit or it could be more again a head gasket? The engine lost no coolant so its not between the coolant and oil side of the head gasket.
Thank you

:ca::troops::usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the way you describe it the first thing I would check would be the valve cover gasket.

maybe

Ok but i dont think that theres so much pressure under valve cover gasket to put out all 5 liters of oil .....no???

From the way you describe it the first thing I would check would be the valve cover gasket.

you lost all 5 quarts? Did it lockup?

I don't know that pressure would have anything to do with it. There is a lot of oil spraying around in the area of the valves and any leak in the valve cover could cause the loss of oil. Why it would start all at once I don't know. Usually valve covers don't leak all at once but since you said the leak was from the valve cover downward that would be the first thing I would check.

Someone might come along that knows more about this than I do, but it may be a stuck PVC valve.

No it did not locked up ... isaw smoke behnd thetruck so i stopped it immediatly

If you honestly lost that much you probably out to donsider pulling it apart to check for damage. Losing that much oil at highway rpm's isnt good.

Seriously i dot havespace and money to tear it down...the truck was paid only 750$ so i will only patch it up and go with it.

Check the lower intake manifold gasket. If it BLEW out completely on the highway then it could have leaked the oil out pretty quickly. These gaskets are notorious for leaking at the back of the engine just below the valve cover gaskets, looking like the valve covers are leaking badly. Of course, I am sure that with 200,000 kilometers the valve covers are leaking too. Search the threads there are quite a few posts on the subject. Good luck.

Thank you ill check it out !!!! I have found a company on ebay tha sell full gasket kits for 37$ so im gonna buy one :)
:D

Check the lower intake manifold gasket. If it BLEW out completely on the highway then it could have leaked the oil out pretty quickly. These gaskets are notorious for leaking at the back of the engine just below the valve cover gaskets, looking like the valve covers are leaking badly. Of course, I am sure that with 200,000 kilometers the valve covers are leaking too. Search the threads there are quite a few posts on the subject. Good luck.

Could've been anything from rear main to oil drain plug.

check oil filter mount check oil drain plug

no way a valve cover leak did what you describe, head gasket maybe, valve cover no way

I bought a cheap 4 quarts oil ..im gonna out it in the engine and run it. Like that im gonna see where the oil drip.
the oil is on the left side...the oil filter is on the other side...its not the oil filter. Im also gonna check the seal of the filling tube.

check oil filter mount check oil drain plug

no way a valve cover leak did what you describe, head gasket maybe, valve cover no way

Problem found!!! I have put oil in the engine started it up and the oil dripped from the oil pressure sending unit....o-ring busted!!!
Good news but i paid 225$ of towing for nothing because i always carry a set of spare o-rings in my truck!!!

Eric

The O-ring on the pressure sender?

Ive had my pressure sender off before there wasnt an O-ring.

It just screws right into the standoff from the block

My mistake...im french canadian so not sure of good terms :)
Teflon tape make a seal but i used Red permatex gasket sealer.
Teflon tape broke and the oil got out between the sensor and the fitting that stand between the sensor and the block...1991 to 1994 there was a fitting ..why i dont know because the pressure sensor bolt on directly to the block ....so i bolted it directly.
No more oil drip and no more problem...i changed spark plugs at the same time and the pcv.

The O-ring on the pressure sender?

Ive had my pressure sender off before there wasnt an O-ring.

It just screws right into the standoff from the block

good job sexy!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back