Anyone in PA? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone in PA?

as the wheel turns ...

The ball joints have been replaced and the front end aligned and the noise is still there ! It's not as bad as it was but, IT'S STILL THERE :(
I pulled both axles out and they look fine. Not worn, you can still see the machine marks on the splines. Both hubs looked and sounded fine.
I am officially open for suggestions again.

~Rick~

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ball joints have been replaced and the front end aligned and the noise is still there ! It's not as bad as it was but, IT'S STILL THERE :(
I pulled both axles out and they look fine. Not worn, you can still see the machine marks on the splines. Both hubs looked and sounded fine.
I am officially open for suggestions again.

~Rick~

Did you replace the tires too? The cupping on them would have generated a lot of noise.

Next step would probably be to remove the two front axles (leave the stubs in the hubs to keep the wheels on) and remove the front driveshaft to try and isolate down further. By doing that, you can isolate exactly where the noise is. If it goes away when you do that, it rules out the hubs once and for all. If it doesn't go away, then you know the hubs are generating the noise. It's possible that the hubs will feel fine when rotated by hand with no load, but will generate noise under load.

These things are a royal PITA to fully diagnose.....:(

Did you replace the tires too? The cupping on them would have generated a lot of noise.

Next step would probably be to remove the two front axles (leave the stubs in the hubs to keep the wheels on) and remove the front driveshaft to try and isolate down further. By doing that, you can isolate exactly where the noise is. If it goes away when you do that, it rules out the hubs once and for all. If it doesn't go away, then you know the hubs are generating the noise. It's possible that the hubs will feel fine when rotated by hand with no load, but will generate noise under load.

These things are a royal PITA to fully diagnose.....:(

Jeff, I did not replace the tires. I did rotate them so now the front are on the rear. I'll look at pulling the axles and removing the front shaft. If not, you'll be seeing a for sale thread soon.

~Rick~

Rick, if you pull the front axle shafts, you have to leave the stubs on the wheel hubs...otherwise the wheels will come off when you drive it :eek:. The part of the axle that comes through the hub is what holds it in place.

Got it. thanks for the advice. I'd hate to have my wheel pass me going down the road. I bet that would suck, huh Jeff :)

If I had your problems for this length of time, I think at this point in the plight, I'd be seeking professional help...from a mechanic, that is...
If you don't want to go to the stealership, then try somewhere like Monroe . Some of these guys are actually very good diagnosticians, and like a little more of a challenge than the usual -mufflers-brakes-shocks-mufflers-brakes...
Get it on a lift, put it in gear and listen or have them carefully feel around the driveline for any "thumping." I probably wouldn't suggest doing this at home due to the potential risk for personal injury.
FWIW I had a small wobble sound, that someone accurately described as "an unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle", and a good alignment solved it. But I see you've already had one.

Back