Recommended Off-Roading Mods | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommended Off-Roading Mods

thanks r.j. for the vote...i am really watching this thread as i see a wheel-off coming and truck haven in october would be the place...i can see it now, "east coast meets west coast for a locker showdown, winner gets homefield advantage next year" this could turn into something really big, lol....carry on boys...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny... you should see how many times I can't figure out why I'm not climbing an obstacle only to realize that I had been through the whole trail in 2wd with just the rear axle locked. It's become a standing joke... Other guys are doing their best to make it through in 4wd, and I make all, but the worst in 2wd:confused:

Whats funny is how you are so confident in your truck's ability, but yet if there are a few clouds in the sky and maybe a bit of moisture, you chicken out even for a nearby run, when other people drive over 150 miles to get there ;)

Dead Link RemovedDead Link RemovedDead Link Removed

When it comes to the slick mud, washed out creeks, and narrow trails, a nice set of tires and 2wd locked is practically all you need... add in a lil bit of torque and it wont matter what you are driving anymore, you will look like this guy: :D

When it comes to the slick mud, washed out creeks, and narrow trails, a nice set of tires and 2wd locked is practically all you need... add in a lil bit of torque and it wont matter what you are driving anymore, you will look like this guy: :D

Washed out creeks in 2wd locked? Well I didnt make it in 4wd locked, so I dont think 2wd would of got me through.

Attachments

• Washout 22.jpg
    Washout 22.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 230

2. As far as performace goes, think of your member. Some people say "bigger is better" others say "size dosent matter, its how you use it." Same applies.

ROFLOL!! Almost made my sig there sn0border!!

Whats funny is how you are so confident in your truck's ability, but yet if there are a few clouds in the sky and maybe a bit of moisture, you chicken out even for a nearby run, when other people drive over 150 miles to get there

I've been doing this with my Explorer for 14 years. I have traveled 1900 miles to wheel in the rain and mud in Texas and Indiana. How about you?

I've been doing this with my Explorer for 14 years. I have traveled 1900 miles to wheel in the rain and mud in Texas and Indiana. How about you?

I'm a young kid with no money, just starting out in life and looking to have a bit of fun along the way.

In my opinion the first mod done should be lockers. I know that many will dispute me on this, but a locked truck, even stock, will amaze you at what it can do, and where it will go. Without the ability to put the power to the ground, all the mods in the world are worthless..............

Mmm, I don't have much (read: any) experiance with lockers, but judging by Bloodbane's last post, I do somewhat agree... But, I suppose it ultimately depends on what kind of off-roading you plan on doing. If you're doing a lot of mud/dirt/fairly level runs without any major rocks/roots/dips, then you'd probably be best off with lockers and even a set of 31's, if you can fit 'em. If you want to do a lot of dips and all, I would go with a lift and tires. Not having a locker won't prevent you from being able to have fun if you're careful...

Then again, I still try to do a bit of mild offroading with passenger tires that the PO had on my truck, so I've yet to try anything hardcore.

Without the ability to put the power to the ground, all the mods in the world are worthless..............
Agreed. However there is a good argument for modifying first to KEEP all the tires on the ground so you don't need to depend on lockers as often.

Lockers can give you mobility, but when you really need them you are often lacking the stability that some extra flex might have provided.

I say this from the point of view of having done a locker before a suspension lift :)

And after doing the 5.5" superlift before lockers, I can say that with skilled driving you dont need a lift if you have lockers.

I'm not going to argue with someone else's experience or call into question someone's driving skill because it should be obvious that everyone's wheeling preferences will present them with different types of terrain. I can only say from my own experience of driving a virtually stock truck since 98 on tight and sandy mountain trails; when you're sitting on a slippery 40+ degree slope with 100 foot cliffs on both sides, four tires on the ground beats a locker by a country mile :thumbsup:

i would say locker too. of course your gonna want to get a lift eventualy, but if your talking about what the best mod to do to a stock truck to geet you through what you want, lockers and sliders will help the most i think. i have had alot of fun jsut going on trails with a stock 2 wheel drive open diff explorer, and it got me up alot of stuff i didn't think it could. adn after seeing ritsui make it through everything on cleghorn with just a locker (and maybe a 2" lift) i would say locker

3"b/l 2"spring spacer rear locker front ls 32 bfg ats(daily driver they go real well and last forever)the cheap way to go $1000 and have a good start ang a good rig:biggthump

Back