interesting lift news | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

interesting lift news

well, its going to be a lot of highway/road driving. about 80% road, 20 offroad. so 4.10s should be best? as long as it gets better than 11 mpg like its been getting :p

im 4.56's and 33's and getting around 15 mpg on average, but i dont do much freeway driving just mostly back roads. but i would go with 4.10's if i were just driving on road. just my .02

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well most of my driving is in the city, but when i do drive highway, its at 70-80mph for extended periods. i can deal with the somewhat crap gas mileage on the highway, i just want plenty of low end torque

you will definatly have low end with your 4.56's

you will definatly have low end with your 4.56's
:D good. how much of a noticeable torque loss do you figure i might get if i go 4.10s? it cant be any worse than stock tires and 3.27s lol. just looking for the best fit

im not sure.. im happy with my 4.56's thats for sure although my next tire size will be 35's. i have a steep drive way, and stock had 3.55's?? it was hell on my clutch with 33's!! you will be happy either way. stock gearing and 33's SUCKS!! when im wheelin and going up hills i love the 4.56's on flats and down hills (freeway) it would be nice to have a 6th gear :D, around town its GREAT

well im running an automatic so it might be a tad different. if i rarely drove at high speed (read 50 or above) 4.56s would be the choice. but i drive down basically a mini highway 5 miles to work and back every day

go 4.56's. the a4ld (auto) tranny you have doesnt like to take that kinda stress you have it under, it wont last too long that way!! it sounds like the 4.56's will be good for what you are doing and how you drive, plus you will like it off road :D!

go 4.56's. the a4ld (auto) tranny you have doesnt like to take that kinda stress you have it under, it wont last too long that way!! it sounds like the 4.56's will be good for what you are doing and how you drive, plus you will like it off road :D!

i've been driving it hella easy, but i was prepared to abuse it. the guy that built it for me beefed it right. extra kevlar clutches, triple wrapped bands, drilled valve body, bored out shift servos, all the works. it wont crap out any time soon i hope ::crosses fingers::

not sure if i missed it or not, but where did you pick up your coil seats at?? i need to get a little bit for the 35's, im gonna do the coil seats and make some warrior length shackles.

thanks! i figured i will fab up my own shackles if need be

thanks! i figured i will fab up my own shackles if need be
well for 12 bucks, they are a decent start, unless u already have some steel stock laying around :scratch:

haha actually im sure i do somewhere! that and a drill press. looks like im good to go! :D

did a lil research, with the stock tire and stock gear, i would effectively turn 2283 rpm at 80mph. the closest thing for a 33" tire that gets that same RPM at 80mph is a 3.90 gear. (2383rpm) odd. 3.90 seems a lil too high for that size tire though.

i have tires that 33.5" tall 4.10 gears and at 55 mph tac 2200 and about 17 mpg on a ranger its a little lighter:p:

I run TrXus M/T's 33's with 4.56's and the A4LD. Go 4.56, you won't regret it. With the O/D you lose nothing highway, and gain lots of bottom end :salute:

Back