fender trimming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fender trimming

i have a 2001 xls with 4 wheel. im thinking about getting 32's. i have no lift or shackles or anything. in iceland, no one uses lift kits. they all just trim the fenders, remove bumpers sometimes cut quarter panels.

does anyone think its possible to fit 32x11.5's on stock rims by cutting back the fenders with a sawsall and removing the running boards?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O it can be done....may not be pretty though. how about a body lift?

i thought about the 2 inch body but my frame is pretty rusted from offroading i think it would be a huge pain to try to break all the bolts loose without snapping them. i priced around and the cheapest i could find the body lift was 500. my other thought is what if i flipped the leafs over in the axle in the rear and twisted the torsions. or instead of flipping the leafs i could get shackles for 60 bucks. but would that raise it high enough for 32's? and would it rub against the fender wall...

i thought about the 2 inch body but my frame is pretty rusted from offroading i think it would be a huge pain to try to break all the bolts loose without snapping them. i priced around and the cheapest i could find the body lift was 500. my other thought is what if i flipped the leafs over in the axle in the rear and twisted the torsions. or instead of flipping the leafs i could get shackles for 60 bucks. but would that raise it high enough for 32's? and would it rub against the fender wall...

You could also us an add-a-leaf to raise the rear. They run $35-50 depending on where you get them.

can i match the lift in the rear from the add-a-leafs with a torsion twist in the front or will it be un even

p.s. where can i look online for add-a-leafs. i can only find ones for the 2wd model. or is it the same?

2wd is the same as 4wd and I got mine from JCWhitney.com for like $35. I think the brand name is rough country. Yes, you can match the front with a tortion twist. This is how mine is set up on 31's.

put some glass on the front and you could probally fit 33's without a lift

what is glass? you mean fiberglass bumper?

Fiberglass fenders
pic_main.jpg

http://www.perrysfabnfiber.com/off-road-fiberglass/Ford/Explorer/95-01_4dr/index.htm

If a body lift would cost him $500 what do you think those fiberglass fenders are going to cost. :eek:

Everyone did note that E-rock is in Iceland didn't they.

:p: ehhh, yeah, i guess that didnt sink in the first time...shipping would probally be pretty steep with those flares i would imagine...i think 32x11.5 is fairly large for a tt & shackle setup. i had 31x10.5 swampers with spindles and tt and still had to trim so they wouldnt rub while flexing...you can make it work, you'll just have to do a fair amount of cutting and live with the fact they still might rub a tad...

If a body lift would cost him $500 what do you think those fiberglass fenders are going to cost. :eek:

Everyone did note that E-rock is in Iceland didn't they.

He's not anymore. Must have been a mistake when entering info?

im not in iceland. my friend is from there and came back and told me they dont use lift kits they just cut fenders and bumpers and climb icebergs with their trucks. im not going to do a whole lot of off-roading with the 32's i just like big trucks. i figure if i just remove the plastic parts on the fender and trim a little bit around the edges i could fit 32's. id have to do shackles or add a leafs. my friend fit 31's on his explorer without any kind of a lift or trimming so i figure with 2 inches from shackles and torsions i should be able to fit everything just fine. i just wont be able to make a u-turn like i can now:p:

also...the glass fenders are 300 a pair --plus shipping...so to replace those would cost more than a body lift --installed. it would be more cost effective to gain inches that way.

but i really only need it to be 1 inch higher for 32's hypothetically speaking

just get em and put them on...cut what you need...if you arent gonna offroad it, you wont have to cut as much since you wont worry about flex...

Back