bad cylinder head? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bad cylinder head?

Reaction score
City, State
downers grove, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
For the past week or so I have noticed a lack of power when accelerating and that water was coming out of the exhaust. so yesterday I took off the cylinder head and there was a lot of water just sitting on the piston. I was wondering if that would be a bad gasket or a bad cylinder head?

its a 93 sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any steam or smoke?

Look for a broken/cracked/missing area in the fire-ring on the HG (the steel ring that actually seals the cylinder to the head).

OR check the areas around the exhaust valve (smaller of the 2 valves) seats.

BOTH are known fail points on the 4.0 OHV....it is even quite possible that you have BOTH problems. I have torn into a few motors that had BOTH problems. Usually the HG will go first from pinging. Then, due to running low on water/coolant the motor will overheat and the heads will crack on the exhaust seats, because there is not water flowing in that area to keep it cool.

Ryan

Have the machine shop pressure test the head to make sure it isn't cracked.

well.. I think its just the gasket. so I'll replace that tomorrow. should I do anything else while i have everything apart?

unless you have the head tested than the chances that you will be doing this again is at least 50%.

do you feel lucky today?

1.did you drain the coolant before you took the head off if you didnt that water might have just been from the coolant draining out of the head in to the cylinder when you removed it
2. and also water is a product of efficient combustion and a blown head gasket usually produces steam not water out the tailpipe so you might look elsewhere for your problem.
this is just a thought. let me know

1.did you drain the coolant before you took the head off if you didnt that water might have just been from the coolant draining out of the head in to the cylinder when you removed it
2. and also water is a product of efficient combustion and a blown head gasket usually produces steam not water out the tailpipe so you might look elsewhere for your problem.
this is just a thought. let me know

1 no... i don't drain it. but if the water came in that way, wouldn't the be water in the other cylinders too? and i know there was water in that one before because after i did compression test on all of the cylinders i let the engine cool down over night and I turned the engine over a few times with out the spark plugs and water shot out of the hole for the spark plug.

2 it is water and steam, you can see water dripping out of it. and if you put your hand under it it will fill your hand with cold/ warm water.

Now.... I found a shop that would test it for me so im going there now. I'll let you know how it goes.

alright sounds good

well i got the cylinder head resurfaced because it was warped. so i put everything back together and it stopped leaking water. but it idles rough below 1200 rpms. it did that before it did the cylinder head too.... but its worse now. what do you think it could be? maybe 02 sensor?

jsut a stab in the dark but, try resetting the computer the new resurfaced head will have additional compression and the computer will need to remap to match.

Are there any codes ?

I would do a compression test or (even better) do a cylinder leakdown test to make sure that the head gasket is sealed.

jsut a stab in the dark but, try resetting the computer the new resurfaced head will have additional compression and the computer will need to remap to match.

Are there any codes ?

how do i go about reseting it? and the check engine light is not on so i dont think i can get any codes.... should i try anyways?

how do i go about reseting it? and the check engine light is not on so i dont think i can get any codes.... should i try anyways?

remove the negative battery terminal, turn on your head lights, and wait 30 seconds. Then turn off your lights and hook your terminal back up. Thats it you've just erased the computers memory.

Back