Intermittent start then dies problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent start then dies problem

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Lately I have been having a very random problem. The truck cranks on the first turn of the key but sometimes ( no apparent pattern; sometimes on cold starts sometimes on hot restarts ) immediately dies. Sometimes it runs perfectly on the second start and sometimes it takes three or four starts.

It is not an IAC issue.

Once started the truck runs perfectly and still gets over 30 MPG on the highway.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lately I have been having a very random problem.
It is not an IAC issue.

You sure? Cause when my IAC was sticking it would do this. Although mine was only sticking after the engine was warm.

Assuming its not an IAC problem, I would check for spark the next time it happens.

Also check fuel pressure to see if its leaking down (its not supposed to).

Intermittent connection at PCM relay-
intermittent connection at fuel pump relay

Relays intermittent?

Fuel pump intermittent--going south--

why not hook up the scan gauge and log data? You'll probably need to get into the habit of conacting it and logging for every startup--but there should be a clue in there--

why not hook up the scan gauge and log data? You'll probably need to get into the habit of conacting it and logging for every startup--but there should be a clue in there--

Have done that; no problems detected.

I've had a similar problem on two Explorers. Sometimes the trucks would start, sometimes they wouldn't. It happened on both cold and warm starts and it would take random amounts of time for me to get them started. But once they started, they'd run fine until I turned them off.

Drove me nuts the first time because diagnostics wouldn't show anything wrong. Both times, it turned out the fuel sending unit had gone bad.

You sure? Cause when my IAC was sticking it would do this. Although mine was only sticking after the engine was warm.

It turned out to be a faulty IAC valve after all.

A trip to the dealer and a 5 minute swap; all is well again.

Thanks for all the help ...

The infamous IAC is the only engine related component that has failed on my 97 OHV in 10 years and 116k miles. ;)

I have this same problem and it most certainly is an IAC problem... do you happen to have a part number for the IAC valve? I have been trying to find it on Fast Parts Network with no luck. Or in fact if there is another reliable location I can buy it from, besides the dealer, that would be a huge help as well.

Oh yeah... my truck is a 4.0L OHV.

I have this same problem and it most certainly is an IAC problem... do you happen to have a part number for the IAC valve? I have been trying to find it on Fast Parts Network with no luck. Or in fact if there is another reliable location I can buy it from, besides the dealer, that would be a huge help as well.

Oh yeah... my truck is a 4.0L OHV.

CX1791 $84.31

From Torree at Fast Parts Network.

Thanks alot aldive... really appreciate it

Good Al, I'll put that on my list of preventative items for later. List is $135ish he said, which makes it in the $85 range. Regards,

Glad to hear it was the IAC after all. Dropping the fuel tank to replace the fuel sending unit is no fun. :(

funny I have never had an IAC fail on me...luck of the draw I guess!

Glad you got it figured out!

funny I have never had an IAC fail on me...luck of the draw I guess!

Seems to be more of a 2nd gen problem. Maybe the 2nd Gen ones are more susceptable to sticking?

My original IAC had the sticking problem. I replaced it several years ago with a Ford part from the dealer and the replacement is still working fine except for the Woooo sound that starts in whenever the weather gets hot (> 100°F).

CX1791 $84.31

From Torree at Fast Parts Network.

I take it this was for an SOHC... :confused:
Lets just say when I bolted it up it sounded like there was a tornado in my engine bay.
The side of the part that connects to the intake manifold is completely different with the holes being oddly shaped octagons and the o-rings being circles... hahaha. Im going through the return policy of fastpartsnetwork now. :rolleyes:

Al, if you would please post the part number of your IAC. I have ordered one for my 99, and it should be about $100 here. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back