Explorer sputters cuts out

old mechanic

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
R.I.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Hi guys,I'm old mechanics youngest son Chris, hes doing much better but still blood clot worries.
I don't know too much about cars like my Dad and older Brother, whos not around right now.
My Dads 1992 Explorer out of nowhere wouldn't start, well it started but sputtered, lost power and bucked ahead for about 30 ' and died. Restarted but couldn't get it to go just sputters like its not getting gas and stalls no matter how much gas I give it. It won't rev up at all. I changed the fuel filter but same thing.
It won't take the gas, I tried to rev it up but konks out, it just starts and sputters and stalls.
I thought perhaps it was out of gas but added some still no good. Fuel pump makes the noise every time I turn the key on. I know the sound from driving it.
I don't know anything about codes that I heard my Dad and brother talk about.
I really need it for college.
I'm lost. Thanks, Chris.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried it this morning and there is a lot of white smoke that seems to be comming from the engine compartment and under the truck.
No water in the oil.
I can't keep it running and look at the same time.
Lots of white smoke.
Oil seems to be about a good 1/2 inch overfilled.
I'm going to see if exhaust is comming out the rear tail pipe. I don't know if its the catalytic converter.

Is the antifreeze level where it should be? If it's low and the oil is overfull, that's an indication that antifreeze is getting in there and increasing the quantity. You may have to pull the plugs to see if any are fouled, or wet with antifreeze. With the plugs out, do you have access to a compression gauge? That would be a good check to do too.

White smoke is never a good indication. Check the vacuum tree on the intake plenum...see if any trans fluid is there (if you have an auto trans). I wouldn't think the trans would cause your extreme condition, but the white smoke could be from that, or from antifreeze.

Good luck... I hope the problem is simple to fix

From the symptoms, I might be more inclined to check the fuel pressure regulator. It may be sucking fuel directly into the intake, flooding the cylinders, and filling the crankcase.

I'd also drain and re-fill that oil immediately!

Thanks guys but I think I really screwed up. I thought it might have been out of gas so I took one of my Dads diesel fuel five gallon cans, dumped most of it out and got some fresh gas. Right after I dumped it in it started smoking. Man, i'm getting deeper and deeper in a mess with no one around to help.
How should I drain all the gas out? Will siphoning it out be good enough or should I take the tank out and how should I clean it.
After I started it with some desiel fuel in it not only did it start smoking the fuel pump is now making a very quieter sound when turning the key on. It was loud before.
One more thing, I understand the smoke from the diesel fuel but why is the smoke (a lot of white smoke) comming from the engine compartment and seemingly from under the truck too, not much comming from the tail pipe. Its so much white smoke that I can't really see exactly where its comming from.
No water missing from the radiator or tank and the oil is very clean.
Man, i'm such a screwup when it comes to cars.
Did I ruin the motor by mixing some, very little, diesel fluid in it?

Thanks guys but I think I really screwed up. I thought it might have been out of gas so I took one of my Dads diesel fuel five gallon cans, dumped most of it out and got some fresh gas. Right after I dumped it in it started smoking. Man, i'm getting deeper and deeper in a mess with no one around to help.
How should I drain all the gas out? Will siphoning it out be good enough or should I take the tank out and how should I clean it.
After I started it with some desiel fuel in it not only did it start smoking the fuel pump is now making a very quieter sound when turning the key on. It was loud before.
One more thing, I understand the smoke from the diesel fuel but why is the smoke (a lot of white smoke) comming from the engine compartment and seemingly from under the truck too, not much comming from the tail pipe. Its so much white smoke that I can't really see exactly where its comming from.
No water missing from the radiator or tank and the oil is very clean.
Man, i'm such a screwup when it comes to cars.
Did I ruin the motor by mixing some, very little, diesel fluid in it?

white smoke could be a value cover gasket, but as for the truck, look and make sure the pcv value is all the way in and that the hose is still connected

Don't worry to much about the diesel. It will just help lubricate the top of the cylinders and maybe help confuse the O2 sensor a little. Is the truck loud? I mean is it almost annoying when it's running? It sounds like you might have some exhaust system issues. That might be why the engine compartment is getting a lot of the smoke. It might also explain why your not getting much out of the tail pipe. It's possible the converter is clogged also. Bailey

ahhh...diesel fuel. I spent most of a day once trying to figure out why my father-in-laws truck wouldn't run. Turns out he filled up with diesel. It was years ago and it was an older truck. It had the diaphragm style fuel pump, so we just put gasoline in a gallon bucket and suction-fed the pump from under the engine. Even with the small amount of fuel left in the engine, it was enough to fill the neighborhood with white smoke...I couldn't even see his house even though we were in the driveway!!! He later drained the entire tank.
Sounds like you need to take a road trip and use up all the fuel in your tank!

You have a bad Transmision modulator Valve and a possible vacuum leak.

The ATF fluid gets suck into the vacuum lines and will cause the oil to overfill. Also check you ATF level it may be low. Also check your vacuum tree for disconnected lines. The bad tranny modulator often causes a backfire through the intake and blows off the vacuum lines.

Been there and done that! Good luck!

P.S. Pay a local shop to do the work. About $100, its much easier than doing it yourself.

I am having similar issue. I have a 92 explorer 4.0 5 speed. It will run just fine often, but at times I give I accelerate to get an engine lag and sputtering as I lose throttle. Sometimes the engine sputters, but I turn key off and back on while driving and it tends to drive normal again.
Replaced throttle sensor; fuel filter; thermostat; no air in cooling system.
Any help would be great!

Engine Sputters

Guys I have a 94' Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6, body in good condition and needs some interior touch ups, but sputtering. I had the oil, air and fuel filter changed all at once. It's still sputtering, I had the vacum lines checked as well, still sputtering. I changed the alternator, radiator along with some key fuses last fall. With 262k miles, it does not use oil and ran great until about a week ago. I had the plugs and lines re-checked again, still it sputters. I'm just trying to get it running properly again. It seems to be something minor, but have receive mixed opinions to the problem. Tell me what could be the problem? I'm frustrated..

Back