• Register Today It's free!

brown wire mod question

stangjustin

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 99 XLT
Ok im a little slow at understanding things sometimes LOL. Ive read the "how to do the brown wire mod" and im not sure of the point. The way im understanding it is when you have 4auto/4high/4low then the mod gives you the 2wd only option when you want? Am i right? LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

re-read it(sorry had to) that is for the 97-01 guys. For us 95-96(maybe 97 too) it gives us 2lo and 4hi...it is a little bit more complicated of a procedure(like 2 steps longer)...if you have any q's about it i have done it on my 96'.

re-read it(sorry had to) that is for the 97-01 guys. For us 95-96(maybe 97 too) it gives us 2lo and 4hi...it is a little bit more complicated of a procedure(like 2 steps longer)...if you have any q's about it i have done it on my 96'.
I know my 95 has the 2wd/4high/4low switch so thats self explanitory right. But my girls truck i just got her (1999) that has the 4auto/4high/4low by doing the bwm it would act like my 95???

ohhhhhhhh..that makes a differnace, yeah it would give her 2hi 4 auto 4 lo 2 lo.

im pretty sure the way i read it is you can have 2 hi, 2 low, 4 auto, 4 hi, and 4 low. this i think depends on if you have the switch thats in the brown wire open or closed. but then again i could be wrong.

steve

When wired properly, OEM function is retained in all cases.

If you have a 95 or 96, in addition to the 2wd, 4auto, and 4low, you gain 4high and 2low.

If you have a 97-01, in addition to the 4auto/4high/4low, you will gain 2high and 2low.

Make sense?

If you have a 97-01, in addition to the 4auto/4high/4low, you will gain 2high and 2low.

Isn’t 4auto essentially 2high as long as the rear wheels don’t spin causing it to engage 4high? What is the practical application that requires 2high instead of 4auto?

What is the practical application that requires 2low instead of 4low?

The only application I could think of for using 2low is towing a very heavy load a very short distance on a high traction surface. Maybe an occasional high traction rock crawling situation too but that seems like a stretch. I’m assuming the point is to eliminate the 4WD binding that occurs on high traction surfaces like paved roads. Am I missing something?

Isn’t 4auto essentially 2high as long as the rear wheels don’t spin causing it to engage 4high? What is the practical application that requires 2high instead of 4auto?

Yes. However, for control freaks like myself, I don't want some electrical engineer telling me when I need the 4wd. I'll drive the vehicle myself, thanks. (Or at least have the option of doing so)

What is the practical application that requires 2low instead of 4low?

When on the trail, or in the middle of the front yard pulling shrubs, it allows the driver to unlock the transfer case without shifting back to high range. For a practical example, on a tight trail, in low range, and you need to make a sharp turn. Rather than endure the driveline bind-up such a turn would generate, disengage the t-case, make the turn, then re-engage on the other side.

Ever tried to back a trailer up an incline or across a soft surface that requires generous application of the go-pedal to make it move? Switch the t-case into low range, then flip the switch, and it'll crawl back up and over whatever you need it to without any driveline bind-up.

Make sense?

i second what gijoecam said about two lo...it is really useful on tight trails...you would be suprised what you use it for.

Yep, that makes sense. Those situations are similar to what I had in mind. I guess I just don’t get to do enough of it to bother with the mod… My wife wants to drive “her” Explorer to work on Monday and gets offended if I break it on weekends. To make matters worse, my son wants to drive “his” Mustang to school too. I could have sworn I bought both vehicles so I could have fun. In fact, I remember buying the Mustang while she was still pregnant with the son.

Somewhere along the way, my life went seriously out of control… :help:

i second what gijoecam said about two lo...it is really useful on tight trails...you would be suprised what you use it for.

Was actually using 2 low on the trail this weekend. Makes tighter turns and makes for nice powerslides in loose mud and gravel....

Dan

Back