• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case Clutch???

02dubs

Reaction score
City, State
leland/ Traveres City, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
I have an 02 explorer that no longer has 4wd, winter is coming soon and i need to get it fixed. Im pretty sure its the transfer case clutch just burnt out, cuz it was stcuk in 4wd last winter non stop then it just stopped after a week im guess it just melted together which caused it to wrk all then time then finally broke lose. Anybody know where i can get this clutch? ar a transfercase?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea the light and all that comes on... you can even hear the Tcase engaging, but no 4 wheel i was also told the clutchs were bad.

Don't always believe people -- there are other parts related to the 4wd system that are points of failure, like the transfer case chain.

how do you nkow the 4x4 doesnt work?

who said the clutches are bad?

at the end of last winter my 4 wheel high was stuck on for a week straight. which should not happen with an auto 4wheel, i put it in reverse and slammed on the gas and it nolonger was in 4wheel high, i took it mudding.... hit the 4wheel high button....nothing....10 minutes later after beating on it, it engaged. the only way to get itback out off 4 high was to put it in reverse and hit the gas. thats why i think the clutch is bad from all that auto disingaging and engaging BS. after 110k i think that would pretty much toast a clutch if you live in northern michigan. Thats why i think its the clutchs fusing together, due to high heat, then having to disengage it manualy

The clutch doesn't "fuse" together, the friction material will probably fall off the metal discs before it "fuses" together. You'd have to evaporate almost all of the tranfer case's fluid before you come close to this.

I'm thinking that this gear (pic below) has cracked -- a rare but definitely not unheard of problem with such a 4wd engagement design:
cracked.jpg

Back