The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!!

Agreed. A true SUV is a truck in my opinion. And if a truck doesn't have at least a solid rear axle it's not a truck as far as I'm concerned.

................correct me if i am wrong, but thought & seen that these 3rd-gen's have a "rear_coil spring = independant_rear axle"........i don't think that configure's to a "solid rear axle", does it???? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just hope if Ford does kill it, they really kill it. I, for one, don't ever want to see the name "Explorer" on something that looks like a Rav4.

Yea let it die gracefully,or... let the thing go out with a bang with an SVT model with a 5.4 V8 out of the GT500!

Looks like the Flex will take a bite out of the Explore as well, maybe the end is near :(
http://www.fordvehicles.com/flex/

Ford may also sell Land Rover, and Jaguar

Yea let it die gracefully,or... let the thing go out with a bang with an SVT model with a 5.4 V8 out of the GT500!
So that people can roll em faster? :p:

Kidding. But I don't think more HP is the answer. IMO, a better solution would be a diesel.. something of small to moderate displacement, not too big. Maybe like 3 liters, turbocharged and intercooled. This would have good torque and great gas mileage.

That Flex site is awesome -- the ducks, gotta love the ducks!

Looks like the Flex will take a bite out of the Explore as well, maybe the end is near :(
http://www.fordvehicles.com/flex/

Ford may also sell Land Rover, and Jaguar

My God.....The end is here.....
Its like a forester-scion cross

It even has scion wheels...

Ford is just trying to stay in the market and increase sales. I doubt they will get rid of the Explorer, as its been its top selling SUV for many years. Good gas mileage / hybrid / crossover type vehicles are most popular right now, Ford is just getting in on that market. I could see the 2 larger SUVs the Expedition and the Excursion being driven out because of bad gas mileage, too large, etc, but I think the Exp is here to stay. And if not, then they would just go the way of the Camaro, as in...take it off the market for awhile, then reintroduce a sweet concept of a new EX a few years later.

then reintroduce a sweet concept of a new EX a few years later.

Don't forget about what happened to the Blazer, I don't think that GM has any plans to bring it back.

Don't forget about what happened to the Blazer, I don't think that GM has any plans to bring it back.
They did bring it back, they just added "Trail" in front of its name ;) - and in some versions, stuffed it with a 6.0L Corvette LS2 block :)

They did bring it back, they just added "Trail" in front of its name ;) - and in some versions, stuffed it with a 6.0L Corvette LS2 block :)

Wow, I was out of loop on this one. Hot damn, I had no idea the trailblazer had a 6.0.

Sorry, I might have mislead you -- not all TrailBlazers have the 6.0, only the SS.

Yeah, I saw the Ford Flex at the OC Auto Show in Anaheim.

Here are some pics of the Flex in the flesh lol!

img0682wi4.jpg

img0684ep1.jpg

img0687me4.jpg

img0690es3.jpg

img0691ei4.jpg

img0694ef3.jpg

................correct me if i am wrong, but thought & seen that these 3rd-gen's have a "rear_coil spring = independant_rear axle"........i don't think that configure's to a "solid rear axle", does it???? :confused:

You are correct. I don't consider 3rd gen Explorers trucks or real SUVs.

I could see the 2 larger SUVs the Expedition and the Excursion being driven out because of bad gas mileage, too large, etc, but I think the Exp is here to stay.

They don't make the Excursion anymore.

Wow, I was out of loop on this one. Hot damn, I had no idea the trailblazer had a 6.0.

Yup the SS comes w/ the LS2 V8...thing is stupid fast and IMO the best looking midsize SUV on the market..yeah i know i'm on a Ford forum but been a previous trailblazer owner i just love that truck..plan on gettin an SS in like an yr or so used since 08 is the last yr for them:(

They don't make the Excursion anymore.

They do to a point. It is called the Expedition EL. I don't think it is built on the superduty platform. But it is longer than the regular Expedition. Just like Chevy did with the Suburban is now the Tahoe XL

They do to a point. It is called the Expedition EL. I don't think it is built on the superduty platform. But it is longer than the regular Expedition. Just like Chevy did with the Suburban is now the Tahoe XL

You mean the GMC Yukon and Yukon XL? With Chevy it's still the Suburban and Tahoe.

Exactly, it's built on the Expedition or F-150 platform not the Superduty platform like the Excursion was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Staying for a While

So I was sitting in physics class this morning and saw a bunch of Fords drive up onto the pavement right outside the building. So i picked my priorities and left physics and went outside to see what was going on. Apparently they just decided to bring a bunch of the newer fords when they showed the Buckeye Bullet which is some landspeed somethin or other that goes really fast. So I started talkin to one of the people that was by the Explorer about where everythin was headed and I asked her if they were goin to phase the Explorer out in favor of the Taurus X, and she just laughed at me and said "Hell no". "We just wanted to replace the Freestyle because it didn't sell well at all." She assured me that there were no plans in motion to get rid of our beloved Explorers anytime soon (she also happened to be an avid explorer fan). I don't know how reliable a source she is but she seemed pretty confident about it.

And on a side note there was also a Shelby, a V6 Stang, an Edge, a Sable (i guess the Taurus didnt make it there), an Escape, and a Hybrid Escape. And i guess someone walking around there had a red '97-ish M3, its not a ford but its still one of my favorite cars...

But I'm goin to head back there later today to see if they were just there for show or if they planned to do some demonstration or something. and if anyone happens to be at OSU and wants to see its by Hitchcock Hall on north campus...

Back