New user question about adding larger tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New user question about adding larger tires

ozone

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ranger xlt 4.0 4x4
I have a 1993 ford ranger xlt 4.0. I am going to lift the front and rear by two inches, and am considering 31 x 10 x 15 in. tires. Any recomendations on power, so as not to tear the truck up with the extra tire weight, or is this motor strong enough to handle it? (truck currently has 27" tires and does fine) as I can guess this mod will open a pandoras box of other problems for the stock motor? This is a mod for looks only, truck will probably never be off road.(sorry if this question has been asked previously)
ozone11@cinci.rr.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what gears you have? Lowering the gear ratio is the best way to return the truck to stock feel in power. One thing most people forget about is the breaks. A break upgrade to help stop the additional weight is always a good idea. Other than that the usual ways to increase power is always good, i.e. air intake, exaust, underdrive pulleys etc. Read up on aldive's truck he has done many mod's to increase mileage, but they also increase power.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137531

You will need to determine your stock axle gear ratio, see door tag. If you only want a 31-inch diameter tire a 3.73 or 4.10:1 ratio is best. My 04 ranger is a 4.10 ratio with 31-inch tires stock.

The cheapest option for regearing for you would be to swap a rear explorer axle and a front differential with a lower axle ratio (numerically higher). If you swap a rear axle from an explorer 95 through 2001 have a rear disc, highly desirable.

thanks for the reply

u shouldnt really have a problem just dont be doin crazy holeshots and burnouts!! lol

regearing is very expensive and not really necessary with 31's they dont weigh as much as u think

personally i think once u get around 33's is when u should regear
just my 2 sense

u can always regear later on if ur not happy with performance

You will need to determine your stock axle gear ratio, see door tag. If you only want a 31-inch diameter tire a 3.73 or 4.10:1 ratio is best. My 04 ranger is a 4.10 ratio with 31-inch tires stock.

The cheapest option for regearing for you would be to swap a rear explorer axle and a front differential with a lower axle ratio (numerically higher). If you swap a rear axle from an explorer 95 through 2001 have a rear disc, highly desirable.

What is the difference on the axels? (shock mounts etc.) by differential, you are refering to the gear box? even being a noob to this, I would assume both have to be swapped in order for the 4wd to work correctly. Although I believe at this point this type of swap is above my expertise. HELP! I think Ive been bit by the build up bug! One more question, for regular street use, should I expect to see a dramatic loss in power by increasing my wheel size from 27 to 31"?
What would be the CHEAPEST power increase option with a guess at cost. (my wife is already a little irked at what I have planned for the truck).:eek:

Yes you will see a dramatic power decrease in increasing tire size 27, divided by 31 is the numerical number.

Best (least expensive) power increase is a cold air intake (< $100) or a K & N filter (< $50) and cat back exhaust (about $250 installed).

The differential is a gear box but usually the gear box is refered to as the transmission. The differentials are the insides of fat part of the axles. Both front and rear axle ratio must be equal to use 4x4.

Rear axle spring perche and shock mounts would need to modified.

My best advice to you is to use the search function on this site and do some serious research. Pick up a 4x4 magazine to see what things cost (tires, gears ect.). Make a plan and a budget. Build your vehicle to perform for you use.

One more thing, get used to the wife being ticked. I think nearly all of them get upset when you give your ride more attention than you give them. LOL. My wife gets upset even though it is her X that is getting the attention.

Won't adding larger tires screw with the ABS?

Back