RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

Thanks for that info, and look for a shop which does air suspensions. They often deal with compressors that push 300psi. A scuba shop or other place that does CO2 containers has much more pressure. What gas is in those shocks, is it Nitrogen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that info, and look for a shop which does air suspensions. They often deal with compressors that push 300psi. A scuba shop or other place that does CO2 containers has much more pressure. What gas is in those shocks, is it Nitrogen?

It is Nitrogen........thanks for the ideas.

CMAX

This morning my "X" was sitting kinda low compaired to the rear.

I will be trying a new spring combo this week. The 650# is perfect in terms of ride quality (the valving 80/50 might have something to do with it too) but it is not allowing me to get the front level with the rear. Currently the LCA sits parallel with the superlift drop brackets. I want a litle more lift up front so I will probably go up another 100-150#. Probably a dual spring, 10" main spring with a 4" tender spring. I will update you all when I know more.

William Schumacher,
When using the 8.5" C/O you will need to do a little modificiations to the upper and lower bracket bracket. The modifications are not that bad. You probably do not need to do these modifications if you decide to use the 6.5" C/O.

CMAX~

can you explain a little bit on what needs to be done to the brackets ? upper/lower

cmax: with the longer shock length are you worried at all about the shock bottoming out before the suspension bottoms out since the collapsed length is longer then the 6.5" travel shock? Have you taken any measurements for this?

That is the reason I went with 6.5" shocks. I had to remove my bump stops for this conversion since I do not have the RCD lift kit that comes with custom bump stops fabricated into the drop brackets. My springs will now be my bump stops for now, until I decide to make something up. Because if you have to much compression you can say bye,bye to your front diff..

Chad

PS Cougar I got pretty sick when you where in town and ended up in the ER. Should have met you a couple hours earlier:eek:

can you explain a little bit on what needs to be done to the brackets ? upper/lower

The fox C/O's come with 1/2" mounting eyelets, while the RCD brackets are 5/8". To fix this I just made sure the brackets were exactly 5/8" holes (finish coatin was getting in the way), then I press fitted a 5/8"O.D. by 1/2" I.D. metal spacer that I picked up form the local hardware. This might not be the case if you are making the brackets yourself, you can just easily make the holes 1/2". Otherwise you can add the spacers in both top and bottom brackets. The second mod of the brackets was at the top. Its kinda hard to explain, I will make sure I put all this in my C/O conversion thread. For now basically it was to allow the shock body near the top shock eyelet to clear and line up with the mounting hole. I had to grind away some of the metal at the bottom of the mounting hole on the bracket to get this clearence. These were the only modifications to the brackets.

CMAX~

When squizing the 8.5" shock from bracket to bracket you have a little resistance in terms of the

I had to do the same grinding on the top mounts. It was due to the angle of the shock. It was a 30 second mod.

cmax I also found some bushing that fit better as well. I have the inner metal sleeve from my Superlift Leaf spring bushings, that I am going to cut, and make 1/2" spacers. This will help the Fox shock fit better in the RCD mounts. I think the bushings that come with the Fox C/O are 1/4". As of now I just some 1/2" washers in there for shims. But it does not look professional.

I will take some pics later if needed.

Chad

cmax: with the longer shock length are you worried at all about the shock bottoming out before the suspension bottoms out since the collapsed length is longer then the 6.5" travel shock? Have you taken any measurements for this?

The main reason I went with the 8.5" C/O w/ res is because I did not want to have to buy new coilovers when it comes time for a SAS. This is the chance I took in trying to see if the 8.5" shock would fit. Knowing that the only differences between the 6.5 and 8.5 are in the extended and collasped lengths I thought I would see if I could get it to work.

The 2.0x6.5 shock from Fox:
Shock Travel: 6.50"
Extended Length: 19.35"
Collasped Length: 12.85"
Shaft size is: 5/8"
Fox Part #: 980-99-001A

The 2.0x8.5 shock from Fox:
Shock Travel: 8.50"
Extended Length: 23.35"
Collasped Length: 14.85"
Shaft size is: 5/8"
Fox Part #: 980-99-002A & 980-99-003A (shocks w/ res)

Initially, my only concern with the 8.5" was that the spring might be too loose if the LCA was fully lowered. I was planing on fixing this by straping the LCA down with limit straps. This would have held in the spring and have stopped the spring from moving around as well as limiting the down travel, which is more important if you decide to go with 6.5" shock. Here you never want the spring to go against the shock vavling at the shocks full extended length. I had also measured that I needed some 24" of extended travel length (I had to take the superlift shock off to measure this and let the LCA down as far as it would go, thats how I got the 24"). My research has checked out, meaning that the 8.5" should work.

----This research did pay off!!!! After install, the 8.5" shock works. When reconnecting the upperball joint to the spindle (knuckle) there is no play in the spring. Just pre-load the spring and your ready to go.

Brad,

To answer your question. The stock superlift shock has almost the same collapsed length as the 8.5" Fox C/O shock. Thats is how I knew it was not going to be a problem. Soon I will be adding bumpstops like Chad (currently the spring will be my bump stop too).

Here are the specs on the SuperLift shocks from the 4” Lift Kit:
Front Shock: Part #:85331/Ext. Length=20.91”/Col. Length=14.91”/O.D.=2.38”/Mounts: S1 & BP7
Rear Shock: Part #:85146/Ext. Length=26.07”/Col. Length=15.57”/O.D.=2.38”/Mounts: BP8 & EB1

CMAX~

Thanks!!

Update-------

Yesterday, I went to a local motorsports shop here in michigan and had them put another 100psi of nitrogen into my shocks reserviors. I increased the stiffness of the truck for better on road ride quality. It aslo minimized the amount of noticable bump steer. Lastly, it raised my front end a 1"-1.5". Its all level with the rear. It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Today, I had a chance to get my tires balanced as well as my front end alignment. Everything is in spec and the ride is unbelieveable.

The only thing that I want to point out is that the front is a lot stiffer with the 300psi of nitrogen compaired to the 200psi. Depending upon your application and how you want the truck to ride. I may suggest finding a 14" spring at a 750# spring rate. Then you do not have to have the shocks at 300psi. I will explain more in my write up.

CMAX~

Thanks, I'm sure the spring rate and the shock's rate will be key to a good ride quality.

PS Cougar I got pretty sick when you where in town and ended up in the ER. Should have met you a couple hours earlier:eek:

Its alright man. I know how it is. I have had a pretty rough week myself. No ER but I think I may have been better off at the ER. Maybe next time.

Brad,

To answer your question. The stock superlift shock has almost the same collapsed length as the 8.5" Fox C/O shock. Thats is how I knew it was not going to be a problem. Soon I will be adding bumpstops like Chad (currently the spring will be my bump stop too).

Here are the specs on the SuperLift shocks from the 4” Lift Kit:
Front Shock: Part #:85331/Ext. Length=20.91”/Col. Length=14.91”/O.D.=2.38”/Mounts: S1 & BP7
Rear Shock: Part #:85146/Ext. Length=26.07”/Col. Length=15.57”/O.D.=2.38”/Mounts: BP8 & EB1

CMAX~

Awsome. Thanks for doing all the work man! Now all I need to do is order parts! :thumbsup:

Are you sure 300psi is not to much pressure? In the Fox manual for rebuilding shocks, it says you only put between 180-200 psi of nitrogen.

Edited: I just talked with Sonny and he said 300 is the Max PSI he has ever used.

Chad

Are you sure 300psi is not to much pressure? In the Fox manual for rebuilding shocks, it says you only put between 180-200 psi of nitrogen.

Edited: I just talked with Sonny and he said 300 is the Max PSI he has ever used.

Chad

Sonny from downsouthmotorsports said 300psi is ok. I am not sure how long the shock will last at the kinda pressure though. I will be sure to call him and let you guys know.

CMAX

I am getting ready to do my gears and lockers. Do you guys recommend doing a aussie locker up front? How does it ride? Too much?? Just do rear??

Let me know what you guys think!!!

Thanks,

CMAX

That is really for serious off road work. I've read that a front locker hurts steering greatly in slick conditions, like snow and ice. I like using great tires and having a mild rear diff, for general street use. You decide what kind of driving and needs you have, others here will give first hand accounts I'm sure. Regards,

All I have heard is a front locker is a recipe for blown CV axles. Although I just had to replace my CV boot and I dont even understand how the CV's go bad. There is nothing special about them????

If I ever get another CV axle under non emergency circumstances, I am going to buy "Max Drive" CV's from napa. They are a little more expensive than standard replacements, but they don't require exchange, and they are really heavy duty- oversized axle shafts, bigger CV's. Those with a locker may be OK :dunno: Me personally, I won't get a lunchbox type locker for my front. I have a vac diso front end, my driveshaft doesn't rotate when going down the road, but with a lunchbox locker it would. Also, I've heard lockers make for funny operation when in 4x4 on snow and ice. If I ever get rich, I will get a selectable locker like an ARB, that way I can click it on when I like.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting about NAPA, I have only heard of one place with "stronger" shafts, after I had bought mine.

Back