• Register Today It's free!

HELP 4.0 SOHC upper pan removal

rrawlings

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
Is there any way in the world to remove the upper oil pan or girdle as some have called it without removing the motor? I had fond a link someplace that told me to lower the front diff, remove the starter, unbolt pan etc. got the pan loose but it seems to not come clear of all the crap. I am hitting on the rack and pinion at the front and the diff I think. All this because the balance shaft chain tensioner took a dump along with the primary chain tensioner. If anyone knows a way please help.

I previously posted this in another thread. It explains how I initially pulled the ladder frame without pulling the motor. However, it is not really worth the effort because after I got the ladder frame out, I ended up pulling the motor anyway. It was the only way to reinstall the ladder frame properly. Just bite the bullet and pull the motor.

The following must be removed before you will be able to remove the ladder frame (upper oil pan):

Seven bolts and one nut on the left side of the ladder frame
Eight bolts and one nut on the right side
Five bolts at the front
Two Torx screws at the back of the ladder frame
Eight bolts through the bottom
The bottom two bolts through the transmission
Two Torx screws holding the oil pick-up

The radiator, fan, and water pump will need to be removed too so the ladder frame can come out the front. Then you can unbolt the four bolts that hold the motor mounts to the vehicle’s frame and raise the motor several inches to get the necessary clearance to remove the ladder frame. However, this is not the recommended procedure because it does not allow proper reinstallation of the ladder frame.

When reinstalling the ladder frame a straight edge is used to position it properly in relation to the block. This prevents damage caused by interference between the flex plate/flywheel and the ladder frame. You cannot do this with the transmission still in place. For this reason, the proper way to remove and reinstall the ladder frame is to pull the engine first.

Back