Starting issues, and an array of questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting issues, and an array of questions.

BlazinKuztumz

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Navajo LX 4x4
Sup guys. First off love the site, and the info. I've been putting off some work to my 94 Navajo LX 4x4, but since it decided to die on me on my birthday, I now have to get busy on it. To start things off:

I'm finally replacing my door hinge bolts (thanks to a few very well written and submitted threads on this site). I have the Dorman hinge pins, and new strike plates (since the plastic piece likes to wear out when the doors aren't closing correctly). So thank you to those of you that write things up, take pics, and make it easier on the rest of us to fix our own vehicles.

I'm also going to work on tearing into my 4x4 set up and figure out why it doesn't engage into 4x4, low, etc from the dash. I know I've seen a write up on here that says it's usually an easy fix with a piece of tubing/line. So guess we will see and if not, I'll be back to post again. LOL

Now, I've had a problem with a vac house breaking on the truck once before and causing issues at idle. I found it on the front of the vac tree, and used a piece of gas line, a clamp, silicone and a bolt and took care of it in short order. But, here's my newest issue that I'm working on.

I cranked my truck up, and it didn't crank fully, and sounded like it backfired up towards the engine. I turned around and cranked it up again and it cranked up and was running, but I heard a hissing. I've had a muffler that was rusted, blow out before, and make a similar noise, so I thought nothing of it at first, and drove a mile and a half to a relatives house. When I got there I shut the truck off, but decided that I needed to make sure what the issue is, and turned it back on and popped the hood. At this point the truck was idling rough, and acting up, so I figured "vac problem" and went straight to the tree, I found a rear house had popped off, and put it back on, but noticed that it didn't fit tight, since it seems to be stretched out because of age, wear and tear, etc. The truck began to idle back to normal, but then it popped right back off and before I could get back over to it to put it back on, my truck stalled out. So I put it back on, and zip tied it into position to keep it on. I tried cranking the truck back up and it would crank, but ran rough and kept stalling out. Eventually after 5-6 more times, it won't crank at all and just sits and tries to crank the entire time.

So I called some people I know, and asked some questions, and found out that all of them said the same thing "sounds like fuel pump, from experience and info you are giving, but check usual: fuel, spark, relays, fuses, etc.", so I did. I checked the fuel pump relay by changing it out with the relay above it, and FP relay worked in the above slot, but neither relay worked in the FP slot. I also turned the key on and found the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and (I don't have a FP gauge to use) old school style, just used a a core change tool to push in on the valve a bit to see if I had pressure. I got a small hiss, but no fuel, and it just dropped off to zip at that point. I tried cranking it again, went back and did the same, got the same: small hiss, then no pressure. So talked to a buddy that had a ford before and same sort of problems, and he agreed that sounded like a fuel pump needed to be bought. So I just bought one, and will be installing it this week (needed a new one anyways, since my fuel gauge reads E all the time, since I bought the truck used from the previous owner, and they don't sell the float assembly separately from the entire unit). So that will take care of that issue, as well as hopefully getting the truck running again.

Now, here is my question, anything I've missed that you guys want to add? Anything I should look forward ahead of time that might help, or might be the issue I'm not knowing about, and will still cause issues even after dropping the new fuel pump into the tank?

Just thought I'd check in and see what everyone else had to say. Thanks a lot for any advice, and an awesome support site like this one. I've owned other vehicles (still do) and been on other sites, and the entire atmosphere of those vs. this site, isn't even comparable by a long shot. Great site!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked the fuel pump relay by changing it out with the relay above it, and FP relay worked in the above slot, but neither relay worked in the FP slot.
So it appears that the fuel pump relay isn't closing. Changing the fuel pump isn't likely to make the fuel pump relay start to close. It sounds like the assembly needs changed anyway, but don't be surprised if it still won't start after changing the fuel pump. I would suggest you take a few minutes and see if you can figure out why the relay isn't closing.

So it appears that the fuel pump relay isn't closing. Changing the fuel pump isn't likely to make the fuel pump relay start to close. It sounds like the assembly needs changed anyway, but don't be surprised if it still won't start after changing the fuel pump. I would suggest you take a few minutes and see if you can figure out why the relay isn't closing.

Thanks. Yeah I was wondering when it wasn't working, even after figuring out that the relay it's self, and another relay worked in a separate socket. Any ideas on better places to get wiring diagrams, etc. for my model Navajo? I'm tight on money, and it took a lot of tweaking to be able to get the money for the parts needed as of now. I have a Haynes manual, but must say it leaves a lot to be desired. Just trying to figure out what to track down so as to figure out where to look, or what to bypass to get a definitive answer, or closer to the answer at least. Also, any idea what could have caused the initial issue, and made this go out as quickly as it seems to have done? It had been cranking, running just fine recently, except for the other issues I had mentioned, then suddenly this, and within less than 20 minutes, I have a truck that won't crank/run at all.

Thanks a ton for the info. It's helping much more than you will ever know. Guess when I was working on vehicles and learning about welding, body mods, fabrication of parts, suspension work, etc. I should have looked into learning more about engines and their workings. :) Work in progress I guess.

The wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual is adequate for the fuel pump circuit. You can get Chilton's information in the vehicle repair guides at autozone.com

My standard approach to a simple DC circuit like this is to start at the battery, and measure the voltage at successive points along the circuit. Where the voltage drops is where the problem is.

The wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual is adequate for the fuel pump circuit. You can get Chilton's information in the vehicle repair guides at autozone.com

My standard approach to a simple DC circuit like this is to start at the battery, and measure the voltage at successive points along the circuit. Where the voltage drops is where the problem is.

Yeah, I tried looking it up on Autozone's website earlier after seeing it on a post on here, but it kept coming up as not being available. I'm going to go pick up a Chilton's manual tomorrow morning, I noticed it has vac and electrical diagrams in it. Then I can get busy with the multimeter and start checking everything out and go from there. Thanks again.

Wow, I was going to post today asking what was wrong with my 94 navajo because I hear a hissing sound and my idle is absolute ****. How do I check my Vacuum lines? And How do I test if my fuel pump or relay is going out? THank you so much, you described exactly what my problems were, thanks in advance for any more info

Quick test for bad vacuum lines is to spray them LIGHTLY with starting fluid.

DISCLAIMER -- STARTING FLUID CAN EXPLODE -- DON'T HOSE DOWN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND EXPECT TO LIVE! SHORT BURSTS ON THE LINES ARE ENOUGH. DO THIS OUTSIDE!

Ford fuel pumps are notorious for dying when run at less than 1/4 tank. Keep some fuel in the tank to keep the pumps cool. Also, I've found that Autozone pumps are not very good. I've done 5 on my Ranger -- yup -- free lifetime warranty -- and I've used it over and over and over and over and over and over... even with adequate fuel in the tank... :thumbdwn:

Im amazed, I found two major vacuum leaks in the system and now the truck runs better than ever. Now, however the transmission will not shift gears, it moves, has reverse, and i an put it in 2nd, but the transmission will not shift no matter how high the rpms get. Any suggestions? It was a total letdown getting the truck running so beautifully only to have it let me down again :(

Make sure that you did not somehow displace the vacuum line to the shift modulator which is located at the rear of the transmission on the passenger side.

Glad I could help, since someone else has the same problems. I'm going to get busy and go through mine this weekend. I have the Chilton's book on order and headed my way, so hopefully it will arrive soon so I can use it. Gonna start checking all fuses, relays, links, wiring, etc. and voltages. See if I can't track it down, solve it, and then do the rest of the work that has been needing to be done finally. Thanks again for all the info guys.

4X4 issue

Just an FYI that thread on your shift motor for your 4x4 is awsome!!!! I studied it and with some elbow grease and 0.12$ for tubing I got mine to work great. What happens is over the years the plastic gets dry and crack causing the computer to get confused on where to go. Here is the post for you. Let me know how it turns out.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542&highlight=shift+motor+rebuild

Just cut and paste this into a new address bar. Good luck;)

Well, finally got over to where my truck is, some extra time, and my Chilton book. Checked the fuses and relay for the fuel pump, and all good. I could hear the fuel pump coming on with the ignition now (last time I couldn't hear it kicking in/on, that I know of) and so I tried it again, no luck cranking. Finally I checked the fuel rail again, no pressure, and didn't seem to be wet. So I took the fuel line off the rail, and turned the key on again, no fuel at all. Sprayed starter fluid in the air intake, and it cranked up, and died out again. So I guess I'll be putting the new fuel pump in, and changing the fuel filter out, and checking the lines for clogs soon. But looks like I found the problem. Now to get it fixed, and try and get busy on the other things I need to fix on the truck. Thanks for all the info guys.

i just had this problem with my 93 exlplorer same symptoms and everything fuel pump works and no gas at the fuel rail everything else worked as well .it just didnt want to start,tested everything and all was good ,was starting to drive me crazy.after i did some browsing through the threads here i found one about the gas gauge being off .shure enough threw about 3 gallons in and it started right up with no trouble.also check the fuel filter. i'd try this before dropping the tank

Actually my gas gauge was broken, had been since I had gotten the truck. I used my business to get a brand new fuel pump/gauge from Mazda, dropped the tank, and replaced it. I also replaced the fuel filter while I was under there. Cranked right up first try, and runs strong. It's even a bit faster (better response) than previously. Now on to the multiple other things that are still wrong and need repairing. LOL

Back