extra parts to carry while wheeling?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

extra parts to carry while wheeling??

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I couldn't find any threads on this. I am wondering what extra parts someone should carry while wheeling? Even listing all TTB, IFS, and SAS parts.

I'm sure it would help wheelers.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple off the top of my head...

u joints (a number of spares)
shafts (front and rear)
hubs
full size spare

tow strap
heavy ratchet straps
high lift
good assortment of tools

Fluids, carry all the fluids. I also carry things like radiator stop leak, brake parts cleaner and electrical parts cleaner.

A spare air filter, is a good idea. Zip ties, wire, food and water.

...i am working on carrying small parts...

... besides the above mentioned items...items like c clips, splined washers, drive shaft torx bolts...these would be items that get stripped, lost in the sand, or if you are lucky and can get parts from a parts store when you break down in the field, these items would not be in stock...;)

...btw, brake lines are a must and channel locks to pinch them off...also a big wrench, 1 1/8" i think for the coil springs...:D

IFS

32 MM socket and 1/2" breaker bar to remove the CV axle nut
cv axles (one for each side)
u joint for front and rear axle
inner tie rod ends
hub assembly wouldn't hurt

I am sure I forgot something- I'll add it as I think of it

d35ttb/d44sfa spindle nut socket.

this is what i carry in my rig..2belts, upper and lowwer rad hoses, 3hubs, 4 drive shaft u-joints, left and right front axle shafts, 1 rear axle shaft, 1 alternator, 2 of every fuse on the thing, 2 fullsize spare tires, f/r driveshafts, box of assorted nuts, bolts, and washers, tierod, ends, and draglink, assorted wire, bailing wire, duct tape, jumpercables, 2 gallons of antifreeze, 3qrts of oil and ATF, 2 qrts of brake fluid, 1 can startin fluid,a fire ax, a shovel, a chainsaw, approx.150ft of chain&straps, 4-3 inch D rings, a highlift...and enough tools to strip my little explorer to the frame on the trail...... all added through experience.

a good tip, make a vice mount for one of your 2-inch recievers(great for doin u-joints)

Spare powersteering cap... had to borrow one from Rick last year. Odd things are always needed by me. Its never axle shafts or the usual parts.

Parts I can remember that I have specifcally put in the back of the truck for parts (not tools)

TTB explorer.

Spare brake lines (front and rear)
shock bushings
wheel bearings + seals
u-joints
brake pads (I've had on shatter before so I carry spares)
Brake cleaner
Carb Cleaner
rags
bearing grease (forgot it on the last trip, and someone needed it)
Misc nuts/bolts
Radiator cap
t-stat
RTV (I use right stuff, it comes in a chease wiz type can)
Heater hose
Upper/Lower radiator hose
radiator hose coupler
electrical tape
code scanner + book of codes
locktite

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head.

~Mark

When I had my 97.. I had spare tie rod ends, u joints, cv axles, taillights (They had a tendency to meet trees), hub assembly, fluids, and of course one spare torsion bar after breaking one.

Steering knuckles are also good to have.

used to bring the kitchen sink, but now im trying to condense. Ill bring spares for everything in the tow rig, but this is only the stuff I take in my trail box.

Front axle parts:
L/R shafts, 1 d-shaft u-joint, yoke, histeer studs, lh and rh thread 3/4 x 3/4 heim joints, 1 hub and spindle nut set, leaf spring and bolts for suspension.

Rear axle parts:
L/R shafts, yoke and pinion support, d-shaft u-joint, brake hardline.

Recovery: Tow strap, clevises and receiver mount, hi-lift.

Tools:
1/2" drive 7/16-1" shallow and deep sets, 3/8" drive 3/16-9/16 shallow set, 1/4 drive set. Standard allen key set, screwdrivers, 3pc prybar set (QUALITY SET), BFH, breaker bar, extensions, torx bit set, 1/4-3/4 flex head racheting wrench set, adjustable wrench, 12v corded drill and bits, vice grips, hatchet, KA-BAR and whatever else I feel like bringing.

Other:
Fullsize spare, driveshaft, fire extinguisher, brake fluid and cleaner, antifreeze, gear, motor and trans fluid

Tools for disassembling front hub are kept in seperate box for easy access.
Snapring, picks, needlenose. Its a huge time saver when your broken down.

All of that (except for the spare tire and fire extinguisher) is kept in a narrowed truck bed toolbox.

Oh an am I haveing a problem with this--
I have several parts, any of which would leave me stranded if they failed, and couldn't replace them if not on hand.

So far I have "trimmed " my parts tub to the following

4 hubs
4 outter-4 inner and 2 complete tie rods
2 lower ball joints
1 passenger side upper ( boy could I use that driver side ball joint I gave back to oreilly--this could be an interesting Karma tale, as I now have no spare for it. It would be my luck--lol)

2 cv's for each side
steering rack
brake lines
v8 oil cooler ( dang expensive if it went)
PCM-ignition and pats module with 2 keys
v8 wire harness--complete
1 stock fuel pump, 1 spare walbro 255 lphr
spark plugs
old set of spark plug wires
2 CMP sensors-one with synch drive
tensioner
serpentine belt
IAC valve DPFE sensor
assorted hoses-new hoses and hose repair kit
sevaral hose clamps
head light bulbs
fog light bulbs
1 gallon water
1 gallon anti freeze
2 water pump gaskets
roll of gasket material
gasket sealer
transmission pan gasket with filter
oil filter
3 qts rear diff lube
2 qts front diff lube
power steering fluid
funnels and things to deal with goop
1 qt brake fluid
4 qt's mercv
3qt's dextron-merc 3 ( transfer case)
lucas steering stop leak
bars stop leak
jb weld
seal all glue
duct tape
electrical repair kit
A few nut-bolts fasteners and zip ties
I have it consolidated into 2, 32" long rubbermaid tubs.

But I cannot lift it into the truck--:(

I haven't even got to the tools yet--geez

Back