HID problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID problems

whats up everyone, im having a problem with a HID kit i bought over the weekend for my 2004 xlt, i installed them and everything seemed to be working fine. The only problem is about 2 hours later my fuses kept blowing under the hood!! Did anyone go to a higher watt fuse? or change the wire harness? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO and what I did on may Cad. when I put in HID you should use a high power harness to activate the HID ballasts. I know some havent and have not had problems but for 50 bucks why not.
Dont change the fuse to a larger volt fuse. It will not solve the problem and could create bigger problems. (Burned wires ect.)
Go back over your install and make sure all wires are where they should be. Do it slowly. Read the install directions again. Pay attention to any exposed wires and tape them up.
Let us know what happens.....

You must use an heavy duty harness. Good ones in www.suvlights.com. I got mine from them. Good price, good quality and fast shipping.
Happy rides

Andy

Does anything (other than the lights) get hot, bad wiring somewhere will cause higher resistance and decrease voltages as well, this in turn increases higher amperage pull and will then blow fuses (as these are rated in amps). Dont put in a higher fuse. You either have a leak or a dead short (red to black/ground in the wiring somewhere).
Also some have said to avoid grounding the hid ballasts to ensure the - goes back through the controller!

Fuse will be 10 amp probably anyway and you are only pulling 5 or 6 amps max (after light startup!).
35 W / 15 Volts = 2.3 Amps per light with alternator running or 35 W / 12 Volts = 2.9 Amps per light without alternator.

How are you doing?

You must use an heavy duty harness. Good ones in www.suvlights.com. I got mine from them. Good price, good quality and fast shipping.
Happy rides

Andy

How are things around there in Chile? You okay? Como le va, compai? Como va todo alla? I hear the earthquakes continue... Dicen que la tierra sigue temblando... Where you near the quake area? Estaba en casa o que cuando todo sucedio?

Hello Donner:
I figure that you speak and read in spanish, so, Por aca todo bien, Arica queda unos 500 km. al norte del epicentro y aqui el terremoto se sintio bien fuerte, grado 6,8. Y estaba en el trabajo, en un segundo piso, y hubo algo de panico en la gente.
En el area del epicentro, en cambio las casas se vinieron al suelo y la ciudad que peor quedo fue Tocopilla.
De que parte eres?

brooklyn here is the translation of andy's message

For any property here, Arica is about 500 km. North epicenter of the earthquake is here and felt really hard, level 6.8. And he was at work on a second floor, and there was some panic in the people.
In the area of the epicenter, on the other hand houses came to the ground and the city that was worse am Tocopilla.
In that part are you?

Hello Guys.
Sorry for post in spanish, but I was responding the Donner's question about the earthquake in Chile.
By the way, the Sams01XplrSprt's translation is pretty accurate, except the first sentence: "Por aca todo bien" means "Everything is fine here". Thanks Sams01XplrSprt, your spanish is very good!
Happy Rides!
Andy:salute:

Back