Tire Siping... Is it worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Siping... Is it worth it?

Exactly as the title says. Is tire siping worth it. From everything I've read it seems like a good idea but I would like to hear from people who have actually had it done.
Oh and by the way I am getting the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos, if that helps at all. I know that those tires already have a fair bit of siping from the factory but I know that Discount Tire is going to ask me about this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the Revos would be good without added siping.

If you are an aggressive driver, do alot of four wheeling, or anything more than being a "good driver", then the added siping will lead to more tread damage IMO.

I had a pair of Dunlop snow tires siped for the front of my Paseo. I am pretty sure it helped out during the winter. They wore very evenly, and I think the siping did not reduce treadwear at all. No aggressive driving on them.

I very rarely go offroad and the worst of it is just gravel forest service roads. I'm just wondering about siping because I'm getting these tires mainly because I snowboard a lot and drive in snow almost every weekend and from everything I've read, siping really helps on snow and ice.

Les Schwab

Years ago they recommended the same for my Ex 96 2wd w/AT tires... I don't know what it did, but I never had issues getting around in the snow..

tire siping does work very well in ice and slippery conditions. I had a brand new set of bfg mud terrains on my old 4runner when i lived in maryland, and i was sliding all over the place. The guy who sold it to me told me to have them razor siped, and afterwards they grabbed like nobody's business.

I've had good results with siping on my current tires, and would do it again. There have been no issues with wear after 4 years and 50k miles, and the truck is very sure-footed on packed snow and ice. Deep powder is a different story, but that's what chains are for. :p:

Do you guys remember how much it cost to have the tires siped?

As I recall..

This was a while ago, but I believe no charge. I was buying all 4 at the time, so if there was a charge I would have said no.

I wouldn't sipe the Revos... They have plenty from the factory.

I would sipe Swampers, BFG mts, etc, as they have none...

When I was running big rig in Wisconsin, sipes made all the difference in the world on ice and snow -- with, I could walk up stuff that would normally require chains, w/o, chains every day...

I'm planning on siping my 38 swampers for the Ranger project. I expect that they'll do much better on the rocks with sipes. Likely also some grooving gonna happen, but sipes first.

had revos, the tread mileage sucks. kept my rig in perfect alignment, and they were worn to nothing in less than 20k. bought goodyear wrangler mt/r's and havent looked back since. I work at a tire place, and hear nothing but complaints about bridgestone tires. Exactly with type of driving are you doing besides snow? My revos weren't very good in snow, they got packed full really quickly

had revos, the tread mileage sucks.

I feel the exact opposite. I have had my Revo's for over 50,000 miles so far and they still have good tread left. Drive on them every day and occationaly light offroading/camping trips offroad. They have given me excellent traction in rain, snow and mud. Of course they are an AT and not a Mud terrain, so dont expect miracles in that department. Great overall tire though, and I would not think you would need additional sipping. I actually just bought another pair for my wifes explorer.

I'm going to get BFG T/A KO's, would it be advisable to get these siped?

I do drive kind of aggressive on the streets and off-road.

had revos, the tread mileage sucks. kept my rig in perfect alignment, and they were worn to nothing in less than 20k. bought goodyear wrangler mt/r's and havent looked back since. I work at a tire place, and hear nothing but complaints about bridgestone tires. Exactly with type of driving are you doing besides snow? My revos weren't very good in snow, they got packed full really quickly

I'd disagree with that. I put 30k on a set of Revo's, swapped 'em on to my buddy's truck (was trading mine in) and he put another 40k on them before he wore them out. Both trucks were Explorers. Worked well in the snow and on dry pavement. Only complaint is that my buddy said they got louder as the tread wore out.

I'm going to get BFG T/A KO's, would it be advisable to get these siped?

I do drive kind of aggressive on the streets and off-road.

The KO's should be fine unsiped. I had to have my KM's siped after they wore down to 1/2 tread as they had zero traction on icy roads. It makes a huge difference. The KO's have a lot of sipeing from the factory so you shouldn't have any problem with them.

I just had a set of bridgestone at revos put on and they seem very good in the snow as they are. Way better then the Michelin LTX MS i had before.

Mich. are best in the snow.:navajo:

I feel kinda dumb asking WTF? Could someone post pics of a tire thats been siped?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mich. are best in the snow.:navajo:

Are they? I only owned one set of michs and didnt like them that much. We will see as the bridgestones get some miles one them.

Back