Three Questions about Transmission(S) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Three Questions about Transmission(S)

altenae

Reaction score
City, State
Utrecht
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Hello,

1. Can someone tell me how to renew Transmission Fluid on my Ford Explorer 2003 V6 4 L.

2. When should the Transfer Case fluid be changed ?

3. When shoukd the front and rear Axle fluid be renewed.

Thanks for all
Edward van Altena
The Netherlands

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

1. Can someone tell me how to renew Transmission Fluid on my Ford Explorer 2003 V6 4 L.

It's not fun... the trans uses a special fitting on the bottom of the pan for both filling and draining. I know there are some users on here that have made adapters that work, but it's not an easy thing to do.

2. When should the Transfer Case fluid be changed ?

3. When shoukd the front and rear Axle fluid be renewed.

Thanks for all
Edward van Altena
The Netherlands

Officially, from Ford, all three components are lubricated for life, unless they become submerged. Personally, I replace mine every 100,000 miles, or any time they get submerged in water.

-Joe

Also I would like to know when the front and rear differential fluid has to be changed.

Thanks already,

Edward

Hi all,

Another question about Automatic Transmission Fluid change.

Today I have received my Haynes Repair Manual.

The Ford manual and the Haynes manual says :

First scheduled service is at 150.000 Miles ??!!

Can anyone tell me if this is correct. I have read many threads about transmissions and they all say different about fluid change.

I hope someone can tell me more about the service schedule.

Right now it is at 62000 Miles.

Edward

im not sure if it is the same out there, but Ford here recomends 2 years or 48,000km for the tranny, but we fall under sever driving conditions out here so i dont know if it is that way there or not. And 96,000km on the transfer case.

Hi,

Now sure about thr drivings condition here in Holland compared to yours. But the Manual and the Haynes Manual says 150.000 Miles for the first service.

So can I wait another 90.000 miles or should I change fluid before this ??

For normal duty, the transmission fluid in the Explorer is good forever. However, I always abide by the severe duty schedule, and according to the service and maintenance schedule that came with your '03 Explorer, it calls for transmission fluid changes every 30,000 miles. Personally, I stick with the severe duty schedule for everything.

-Joe

Oke,

My Explorer is imported out the USA. I have no idea if the transmission fluid is ever changed.

It is on 63.000 miles now.

What is the best thing to do:

1. Wait for the first service, which is at 150.000 miles according to the manual and Haynes manual.

or

2. Change the transmission fluid and filter a.s.a.p.

Any advice ?

The haynes manual confused me , because it says 150.000 miles for ATF change.

I wonder if you could hook something to the transmission cooler return line to feed fluid in and do what people do with the 2nd gens and run the engine, have the feed line to the cooler drain into a bottle and dump fluid in the return line instead of the dip stick tube like the 2nd gens...might be a little confusing i just woke up.

Back