• Register Today It's free!

Ford Timing Issues

Flygt

Reaction score
City, State
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
I just purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 with 146000 kilometeres and now notice two major issues. One being the timing rattle at 2500 rpm and the other being cold start issues. I called Ford Canada and they tell me that there have been no complaints as far as timing issues with this vehicle. I was also informed that there were no recalls as far as the intake (cold start issue) is concerned. I am new to all this but seems like a lot of people having the same issue for Ford stating they are unaware of this situation. I was told that not enough people actually calling Ford Motor Company. I am pretty handy but it is cold to do work this time of year outdoors. Changed all plugs and wires and regular maintenace issues. I am going to clean MAF this weekend to see if it helps. When do you know it is definitely time to replace timing tensioners? Is that actually the rattle? I guess buying a vehicle parked in a heated garage not always best. At the end of the day CALL Ford and complain, if you have any advice let it fly(about the issues with the explorer). Disheartened in Canada?

Several Ford Technical Service Bulletins (not recalls) document both problems. Neither problem is covered by warranty any longer but the TSB’s do provide some helpful guidance. The cold start problem is typically solved by replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets with the updated gasket set. This is an easy DIY job. The primary timing chain rattle repair is a much bigger job but if you can hear the rattle, it is time to fix it. You should also seriously consider fixing the cam chain problems while the engine is disassembled.

Do what everybody else does, and Ford did. Change the cam chain tensioners first, and hope that the cam chain guides are okay for now. The first TSB was for that front cam tensioner, it included intake gaskets and an oil passage check valve.

There are four valvetrain tensioners, the others require much more work and special tools. The two that I mentioned should cost about $42(my good price) for the front(TSB kit), and under $30 for the rear. The rear can be don in under 20-30 minutes, the front part requires the upper intake to come off. Good luck,

Like stated above, the cold start problem is deffently the lower manifold gaskets needing replaced, I replaced the upper and lower because of a weird idle durring a cold start, no problems since. Took me about 6 hours, can be done in 2. I cleaned a lot of parts and also cleaned out the upper intake. Also, i lost power for those 2 hours and worked in the dark, lol.

Timing chain rattle is a bit more serious and there are many posts about it on the forum, the search feature is your friend. Also, Don is one of the guru's who know the timing chain setup inside and out so your in good hands. I am scheduled to do mine in about a year or so.

Back