Would like opinions on 2002 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would like opinions on 2002 explorer

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking to buy a 2002 ex as my new daily driver and dedicate the 94 to off road duty. The truck has 88000 miles on it, has no rust whatsoever, has been under ford dealership service up until last week, price: 8900$ canadian.

So, how reliable is the 2002 ex?? what should I check for? warranty is 6 months for the garage I'd buy it from, it's passed all inspections flwalessly, new brakes and all, no loose nothing, no rips or tears. So visually it looks new. But I've heard about tranny probs etc. It's got the 4.6 v8 in it. Please advise on reliability issues and what to look for.

thanks a lot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have a small checklist of stuff to really look for in a 2002 ?? trans, engine, etc??

My '02 Limited 4.6 AWD, bought new, now with 87K miles has been about as trouble-free of a car as I have owned (have probably owned upwards of 30-40 or so.

If you don't gaff off the maintenance, I think that the 4.6 V8 is a solid unit, but the 5R55W tranny has had some problems, most frequently in the early builds. These problems they say can be minimized or arrested early with replacing the solenoid pack.

Some have found broken rear coil springs, and many have replaced wheel bearings (sealed units)(including me). Many have had the rear differential whine that eventually leads to catastrophic failure of the unit, and have had poor results with dealer rebuilds of the pumpkins. There are some lesser electrical issues, including failed 4x4 module, failed GEM module, and failed front and aux (rear AC/heat blend door actuator motor units.

I'm sure that others will jump in with comments.

With all the complaints/issues... Where'd everyone go to?

You'd think there'd be like 50 or 60 posts here already... I have an 03, so I'll shut up, except to say that there have been numerous issues reported by consumers at this site regarding the 02.

My issues are the Rear end whine, about 750 US to rework. One front and one rear wheel bearing replaced. Those aren't cheap either. Even with all the other reported problems, it's still the best vehicle my wife and I have ever owned. The 4wd is just a bonus.

The price seems a little high for this part of Ohio, but since your in Canada it may even be a good price.

Listen closely to the rear end and bearings on a test drive and if you have any concerns have a mechanic check it out.

Good Luck

I have an 04 so I will also shut up but I agree with Donner, lots of info on the 02....

I think it is over priced a bit in my opinion but I also think if its something you like and has what you want get it

I like it a lot but...

I bought my '02 used in 2004 with 50k+ on it, seemed in good shape, of course I was stupid and didn't have it checked out by a mechanic before buying.

Ran great but once I took it in to be serviced the shop that I had never been to said some part of my right rear brake system had rusted up and it basically didn't work and I was running on three brakes. That was $500 down the drain.

Soon after I deployed to Iraq and left my ex at my parents place in VA with the promise they would drive it each week to keep the battery charged and the oil and lube distributed. My dad took it to be serviced and this time there was something wrong with both rear brakes. I trust the place my dad took it more than the random place I took it the first time so I think I got screwed on that first brake job. $700 bucks for that.

I return from deployment and my check engine light is on as well as my four wheel drive system won't work at all. I guess all that mold that my girlfriend cleaned out from the floorboards before I came back got into the 4x4 module and some other sensor. Also had a rats nest in the vent system. All that plus basic oil and service was $1300.

Last winter I was driving down a rutted, snowy dirt road in Vermont where I was housesitting for my landlord. After bouncing my way down the mountain I got to work and noticed the back end was sagging on the left side. Broken coil, I think that was around $300 to fix.

I also got high centered several times during the Valentine's day blizzard we had up here last year, but that was just me being stupid. And I had crappy worn tires.

I loved my '95 ex, got over 150k with minimum problems (that's why I bought my '02). Should have had it checked out before I bought it and done some research on it's repair record. I still love it: the size, the engine, the utility, the comfort (I'm 6'4"). Only complaints I have are the gas mileage (what did I expect?) and those problems I listed above.

Seems like an '03 might be a better option even if it costs a little more. I paid $4k less than the dealer wanted to sell it for but I lost that savings over the next few years.

Good luck.

My '02 Limited 4.6 AWD, bought new, now with 87K miles has been about as trouble-free of a car as I have owned (have probably owned upwards of 30-40 or so.

If you don't gaff off the maintenance, I think that the 4.6 V8 is a solid unit, but the 5R55W tranny has had some problems, most frequently in the early builds. These problems they say can be minimized or arrested early with replacing the solenoid pack.

Some have found broken rear coil springs, and many have replaced wheel bearings (sealed units)(including me). Many have had the rear differential whine that eventually leads to catastrophic failure of the unit, and have had poor results with dealer rebuilds of the pumpkins. There are some lesser electrical issues, including failed 4x4 module, failed GEM module, and failed front and aux (rear AC/heat blend door actuator motor units.

I'm sure that others will jump in with comments.

Hello EasyRhino:
I am very concerned because the announcement of a "catastrophic failure" of the differential with the whine sound that you states.
My Explorer 2002 has the annoying whine and the dealer was unable to solve the problem.
Could you elaborate more about this issue please?
Anyone has another info about this?
Thanks in advance
Andy:salute:

Hello EasyRhino:
I am very concerned because the announcement of a "catastrophic failure" of the differential with the whine sound that you states.
My Explorer 2002 has the annoying whine and the dealer was unable to solve the problem.
Could you elaborate more about this issue please?
Anyone has another info about this?
Thanks in advance

Hey, Andy. What are you doing way down there in S. America?

Anyway, I am no expert on the rear pumpkin, but there are lots of threads here on this problem. Seems that some of these may have been improperly set up (clearances and lash) at the assembling factory, and lots of them whine (some worse than others). Some get progressively worse and I have read threads here that some actually finally 'grenaded".

I seem to recall that there is a TSB out on this problem, but I have not seen it myself.

Mine has whined under acceleration and steady load since new, and has not gotten worse. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I suggest doing a search of the site for a more expert opinion than I can provide.

Hello EasyRhino:

Well, I'm chilean, so I live here.
There's no recall from Ford for the whine sound problem, but they issued a TBS that you can found in this link:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=05-23-3
However, I read in some threads that perform the STB didn't solve the problem at all, or the repair only last a couple of thousand miles and the sound returns.
In my Explorer the sound is a little annoying, but I get used to, because gone away over 70MPH and is more noticeable only between 50 and 60MPH.
I didn't notice that the whine had becomes worst since I get the truck, from april of this year. I bought my Explorer with 100K in it.
I'm crossing my fingers too.
Happy Rides

PS: Sorry for my bad english. Nevertheless my grand grandfather (from my mother's side)was a scottish engineer that comes to Chile to work in the nitrate industry in the early 20th century, (my last name is Fraser), the english language was forgotten long time ago in my family, so I learn it by myself, with some help from school.

Hello EasyRhino:

Well, I'm chilean, so I live here.
There's no recall from Ford for the whine sound problem, but they issued a TBS that you can found in this link:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=05-23-3
However, I read in some threads that perform the STB didn't solve the problem at all, or the repair only last a couple of thousand miles and the sound returns.
In my Explorer the sound is a little annoying, but I get used to, because gone away over 70MPH and is more noticeable only between 50 and 60MPH.
I didn't notice that the whine had becomes worst since I get the truck, from april of this year. I bought my Explorer with 100K in it.
I'm crossing my fingers too.
Happy Rides

PS: Sorry for my bad english. Nevertheless my grand grandfather (from my mother's side)was a scottish engineer that comes to Chile to work in the nitrate industry in the early 20th century, (my last name is Fraser), the english language was forgotten long time ago in my family, so I learn it by myself, with some help from school.

Great family story, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the rear end whine, mine has been audible from almost new, now at 87K miles - so far so good. Mildly annoying, but can be lived with. I intend to drive mine until it comes apart.

Back