Want opinions on James Duff prerunner bumper... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want opinions on James Duff prerunner bumper...

bigDerk

Reaction score
City, State
Stockbridge, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
Looks like I'm gonna order this bumper in the next month or so, my parents are gonna pay part of it for my birthday. :D I could order it unfinished, and then have it painted the color I want (dk. gray), or just order it with the black coating on it. I'm leaning towards the gray.

Here's the original pic from the James Duff website, and that same pic with the colors changed to match what I would want the front end of my Explorer to look like. Think that color combo would look good, or should I just go with the black?

AirD7931.jpg
AirD7931.jpg

What'chall think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go w/ the black. If you're gonna buy the bumper you might as well get one w/ the reviever hitch.

eh

I might be getting one of these myself since I cant find the materials or the time to weld up my own. I'm getting the bare just so I can paint it myself to match the truck. The black powdercoat they offer will probably be more durable than any paint so if you just want to be done with it pay the extra $50 and youre done. However if you have your heart set on grey, just use the $50 towards getting it painted or powdercoated somewhere local in the exact color you want.

Originally posted by HIX
I would go w/ the black. If you're gonna buy the bumper you might as well get one w/ the reviever hitch.

I have been waiting fo rthem to release the bumper with the hitch, but I do not believe that they have. I believe that it has said "Coming Soon!!" for the last year or so.

When I called them a while back(2months) they said they could ship the reciever on w/in a week. I don't think they update the site often. If you really want to know I'll ask the kid that works at Duff that is on the RRORC boad.

Any news on the bumper with a winch mount?

I'm kinda interested in replacing my ****ty bilt tube winch bumper with something stronger.

I posted the question the the kid....He should get back to me in a day or so.

those would rule with a winch mount. let me know

The reciever one is in the JD catalog.......no news on the winch mount.

Bumper

I was planning on ordering one of those myself for my 94. I wasn't sure if it was a bit pricey till I priced a couple of other bumpers. Anyway, if you do order one, let us know how easy it is to mount and how it looks. It will be some time for me since I have shelled out a grand just to appease the Illinois State Police. (A**holes) (no offense if any are here!) Had to lower the damn thing. Funny how laws work that way. Oh well what can you do.

I emailed JD about three days ago to get some more info on the pre runner's, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Don't hold your breath...

I emailed them about three months ago concerning the same subject, and have not yet heard back from them.

I agree

they emailed me back right after, but just to tell me that they couldn't garuntee they would return my email.......
makes sense doesn't it!

Well

I got a response by email but youre better of writing a good ol' letter and sending it snail mail.

What other questions are there on the bumper? Its tough, its sturdy, its cheap ($250-350) think $399-799+ for s#ittybilt or westin stuff that isnt nearly as sturdy) I dont think it can be beat other than by custom work which is alot more hence why I might still get one.

"Can't Get Enough of that Wonderful Duff" - Homer J. Simpson

I've had the Duff Pre-Runner front bumper for two years now and have been very satisfied - - no complaints on the strength; Hi-Lifted off of it several times, looks good, great departure angle, mounts for lights, and easily allows front tow hooks to be mounted to the frame below the bumper.

I like the black color scheme (got a Sport), but I had mine sprayed with the textured bed liner stuff called Line-X. No complaints here either - - that stuff holds up quite well.

I did fab a spacer plate that goes between the bumper and the front of the sheet metal (I think they sell this as an option now), as well as the plastic air dam. Cosmetic reasons only.

Best of luck on your decision.

Paul

Hey Paul, which Duff pre runner did you get and is it on your '99? I have been interested in getting one, but they didn't seem much help on the subject.

2001ExpSport -

I have the same Duff bumper as posted by Big Derk at the start of this thread. (No hitch, no winch mount - - but I'm toying with the idea of mounting a Warn Hidden Mount and winch behind it).

BTW, my Exploder is a '91 - - you must have noticed that I registered in '99 and thought that was the year of my rig.

Best of luck with Duff - - If they had any idea how much money they could rake in by adapting more of their products to Explorers . . . .

Paul

Ya, that's what I did. Bummer, oh well, thanks for the info. I don't think those bumpers will fit on 95+ Explorers.

Paul do you have any other pics of your ride i can see with the bumer on it, Thansk alot, Also do u have a suspentino lift or a body lift? I have both and i think i might have a big gap with this bumper, thanks alot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jay -

Check out the reader's rides (or whatever its called) on the main page - - I think I'm # 7 on that list. Think you'll also see some photos on the Tuttle Creek and Arch Canyon write-ups also located on the main page. . . I'll send you some additional photos if you give your e-mail address.

I only have a suspension lift on my rig, so depending on the size of your body lift, you may have a good sized gap between the bumper and the frame. I can tell you it fits extremely well (once I fabbed a spacer plate between the frame and bumper), so if you can live with the gap that exists with the stock bumper, it ought to be okay.

Paul

Back