• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Serpentine Belt

Kerisseler

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Village, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
My dealer told me I needed to replace my serpentine belt and it would cost $75 to have it done. I told them not to so I could take a look and get prices.
I haven't had time to look at it but, was woundering if anyone has done this on there own and how hard/easy it was. And also what I should expect to pay for one. Any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The belt itself is ghastly in price. From NAPA, when I shortbelted mine, the serp belt was $30. If you have a 3/8" drive socket, it takes about 15 minutes to do.

Yeah. DIY and you'll pocket about $30-40 with about 15 min of work. You use the 3/8 socket driver to unspring the tensioner (idler) pulley while you slip the old one off and new one on. Another person to help do this so you can work the belt from underneath causes less swearing

Thanks a lot for the help, I took a look and it dosnt look bad to do and I got the Goodyear Gatorback thats guarenteed for life.
While I am in there should the tensioner be lubricated, I get a squiek out of it every once in a while when it is damp out. Or should the new belt take care of it?

I don't know how you would lube the tensioner, but it should be done. Mine literally broke off just driving down the road. That was serp belt one, belt two came when the AC Compressor went out.
Can you spray some silicon onto the pulley or what ?

I don't know about lubing the tensioner. If you could actually get into the bearing it would help. But, I think the bearing may be sealed. As for the rest of it, just remember that petrolium based lubes should be kept off of rubber belts as best as you can.

heh

Originally posted by Kerisseler
I got the Goodyear Gatorback thats guarenteed for life.

A lifetime belt? Thats like saying lifetime tires. The "lifetime" they mean is the life of most peoples vehicles after they need a replacement belt. Most ppl will buy a new car before they have more than one tune up nowadays. Belts wear and stretch. Always replace belts/hoses/etc every 50-60,000..and carry spares..if you dont want to be stuck out on the highway that is.

The idler pulleys can be bought for around $18 or a bearing for around $5. The bearings
are easy to replace. Drive the old out and the new in. If you lube the bearing it will only
make the problem worse, because it will clean out any grease that may be left. Result; a
dry bearing.

Lifetime

They aren't saying the belt will last forever, but that the parts store (Murray Discount Autoparts) will replace it for free when it needs to be replaced.
Just like the old Sears Diehard batteries, buy one and every time it died you take it to Sears and get a knew one free.

Back