• Register Today It's free!

Won't turn over

Thomas_1

Reaction score
City, State
Fenton, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hello, I have a 2001 Explorer. Today my wife and I were at the restruarant, when we came out the ex would not start. It cranks strong, and on two occasions did try to start but die quickly. Could this be a weak battery? I read that it might be the IAC but don't they usaully make a whine noise before going out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should hear a small electric motor run when you first switch the key to on. This is the fuel pump priming.Listen for it near the fuel fill door-
Also, you should see the "check engine" light illuminate-

Yes--no?

Yes, I hear a motor start under the passenger side dash, is this the electric fuel pump motor? The 'check engine" light comes on at the beginning of the start, but I don't know if it stays on because the ex won't stay on long enough to see.

O.K. I'll listen for it tomorrow. We had to have it towed to the repair shop. They won't look at it until Monday, so I can go down there tomorrow and play around with it.

It was the fuel pump! The dealer wanted $830.00 to fix it, but I had a service contract and it only cost me $100.00 deductible.

Back