head light moisture

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
I just bought my wife an 04 EB. I noticed the other day that there was some moisture in the headlight assembly. How can i fix this from becoming an ugly problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody else have this problem. I'm afraid this is going to lead to the yellow headlights!

You need to dry them out first!

Remove the clamp that that holds headlight bulbs and back them out about a 1/4 inch then turn on the Headlights. This should dry the lenses from the heat and let the moisture evaporate and escape. By braking the seal you will alleviate the Terrarium effect!

I'm glad you brought up this problem!

I noticed my passenger side assembly also gets moisture when it rains a lot. Driver's side is fine!

Under the hood it looks interesting:
Driver side assembly seems have a fully open back, while passenger side is covered with a strange rubber tube.
Can anyone else confirm if it looks the same on theirs?

See photos:
zz10f17372dq3.jpg

zz406901daqb3.jpg

Greg

Rubber tube would seem to be the air intake!

I had the same problem with my '87 mustang, tried putting vaseline on the bulb o-ring and it still leaked. I took the headlight out and pressure tested it, figured I'd go through the trouble and finally fix it right. Still couldn't find a leak so I popped the lense off, cleaned it all up and resealed it with a high grade silicone, reinstalled the headlight, patted myself on the back thinking I got the best of that stupid headlight. A couple weeks later there was enough water in the damn thing that when I hit a bump it splashed up the bulb (which was on) and broke it.

I finally gave in and drilled a very small hole in the bottom corner of the headlight and haven't had any water or moisture since. That was about 7 years ago.

C.

Same setup on mine. The tube is for the air intake to suck in outside air. The other side is open but the light should still be sealed.

Old thread, same problem. There seems to be little "breather" holes in the back of the light dome, both on the low and high beam domes. Would this let in moisture? If so, would it also let it evaporate out? I suppose if drilling a hole under the high beam light is the only fix, so be it, but it sounds like that may let dirt in to mix with the water :(

Sound like it could be several problems that could be the cause.

1. O-Ring on bulb not sealing
2. Clear lens on light assembly has broken its seal
3. Pressure relief valve either clogged or stuck open

I just pulled 'em out, and will let them heat up and dry inside for a while. The little holes had orange caps on them, so I assume they must be the relief valve. I'll check those too. After their dry, I'll put 'em back in, and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

Back