How do you aim your headlights lower? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you aim your headlights lower?

I put in some new bulbs and i noticed that they were aimed to high. Ppl in front of me were pulling over to the side and then turning on their brights on me. I was wondering how i could adjust them to aim lower.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whuddup D?!

What yr is your Splorer? Check on the bulkhead right behind the light assembly, should be a leveling screw there.

PEACE!

I'm out....

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
Whuddup D?!

What yr is your Splorer? Check on the bulkhead right behind the light assembly, should be a leveling screw there.

PEACE!

I'm out....

Hey! Anyways could you send a pic or something?

Originally posted by Dan E.
Hey! Anyways could you send a pic or something?

Uh, ya....sure, but my lights are different than yours. There is a rod with a hex end on it with you can turn with a small socket to raise and lower the angle. Look down from the top of the light assembly, you'll see it.

^ ? ^

are you sure the bulbs are twisted in all the way?

are the assemblies put back in properly, do they look right?

try taking the assemblies out and re-installing them. removing them can throw off the aim on our gen expy's.

adjust only as a last resort

the hex adjuster is a 5.5 mm socket

Good info guys. Although I hope the original poster has got it figured out by now. (posted in 2000)
Old posts will fool you sometimes.....

Good info guys. Although I hope the original poster has got it figured out by now. (posted in 2000)
Old posts will fool you sometimes.....

i never looked at the date....i'm a 'tard

oh well, here's a pic in case they are still looking

the hex adjuster is a 5.5 mm socket

located by the headlamp... 2008 already, dam#! :)

**** happens.......Damn nice pic though. Someone else will appreciate it & thats what we are here for.

located by the headlamp... 2008 already, dam#! :)

i always thought that was just to guide the connector back in play.. thanx for the heads up... great photo

how do you aim your hid headlights higher?

how do you aim your hid headlights higher?

Same way as lowering the headlights, but opposite. As stated before, I think it takes a 5.5mm (I know it's the smallest socket size in my socket set that I turn mine with) You want to turn the leveling screw counterclockwise? (correct me if I'm wrong) and it should lower the headlight beam. Either way, give it a turn while pointing them at a wall, if they go up, there ya go, if they go down, well just turn em the other way :D

how can you aim them outward?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how can you aim them outward?

If you can, I've never heard of it. The only screw that is attached to the headlight housing is the up/down adjuster screw, so I'm pretty much 100% positive you can't angle them outward/inward, unless you have some sort of mod installed. I'm also using my Haines manual as a reference, it makes no mention of being able to do side to side motion in their 'Headlight Adjustment' section.

Back