Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com

ur control arms shouldnt really be flexing much... u didnt increase the size of the strut, just the compression within the strut to give u more clearance... get ur camber and toe adjusted in an alignment and ull be good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aus X, with 1.25" spring lift

Some pics of our slightly lifted X.
Scotty

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,302

Nice! Is that from the spring shop in Oz? Are the clear corners new?

Yes kingpsrings.com have been offering up to 2" for yonks apparently, the clear corners are factory, remembering that our indicators flash amber

Does anyone know if i could clear 33's with a coilspring lift????

If you have a set of 33s to put on the front, try turning the vehicle's wheels and they will likely catch in places. That's the best way to determine fit... the max lift is 3" I only have a 1.5" lift so I can't say, but would recommend keeping under 33.

Does anyone know if i could clear 33's with a coilspring lift????

umm it would be iffy... if u did the 3'' coil lift there is the possibility itll work but itll be tight... i would do like others suggested and get one mounted... find a friend with a 16 inch rim with the same offset and check it out

Here's some questions to all of you (Bigapple, Donner, Dietrockstar, etc.) that have had your coil lifts and taller tires for a while: So how is it all working out? Are you finding any issues with driveability, ride, performance? Any problems with your transmissions, CV joints, shockabsorbers? How has the off-road performance improved?

You guys are the hero's for figuring out how to make the 3rd gens more off-road capable so now that you've lived with the modifications for a while please share your real world experiances (both good and bad) with the rest of us - thanks!

Here's some questions to all of you (Bigapple, Donner, Dietrockstar, etc.) that have had your coil lifts and taller tires for a while: So how is it all working out? Are you finding any issues with driveability, ride, performance? Any problems with your transmissions, CV joints, shockabsorbers? How has the off-road performance improved?

You guys are the hero's for figuring out how to make the 3rd gens more off-road capable so now that you've lived with the modifications for a while please share your real world experiances (both good and bad) with the rest of us - thanks!

well ive had my springs for almost two years when i found coilsprings.com in the spring of 06... i havent had any troubles with the suspension besides the fact that i busted my ball joints during the spring installation, which was my own fault... besides that, all has worked well and its been nice to have a little extra clearance up front... donner is the only one i know of so far that has lifted the rear so im sure he can add to this

Info needed

From everything I have read here a 267/75R16 will work with the 2" coil lift in the front. I have looked at the pictures posted by other members and it looks like the clearance is still tight. I did some searching on the web and think that I am going run a SUPER SWAMPER TRXUS MT tire size LT235/85R16, it is a 10 ply tire that is same height as a 265/75R16 @ 31.9 OD but a little narrower. The questions I have is 1. how has the larger Dia tire affected you speedo, 2. Has anyone went to the larger tire have the ADVANCE TRAC option on their Explorer? 3. How many are running this set up on a 4.0 V6 if so did you do any engine mods to provide more power. Thanks for any info.

PS3... he's still out having fun!

No problems at all, no offroading either tho. Check out PS3 in the 2002+ thread... that's livin! (Sorry I didn't see your post earlier) :eek: You can scratch my name off, and put PS3 :D he actually went out and did that o/r testing :thumbsup:

From everything I have read here a 267/75R16 will work with the 2" coil lift in the front. I have looked at the pictures posted by other members and it looks like the clearance is still tight. I did some searching on the web and think that I am going run a SUPER SWAMPER TRXUS MT tire size LT235/85R16, it is a 10 ply tire that is same height as a 265/75R16 @ 31.9 OD but a little narrower. The questions I have is 1. how has the larger Dia tire affected you speedo, 2. Has anyone went to the larger tire have the ADVANCE TRAC option on their Explorer? 3. How many are running this set up on a 4.0 V6 if so did you do any engine mods to provide more power. Thanks for any info.

+2 to 5 mph is what can change... but the tire shop did their work and set it correctly. Mine doesn't have Advance Trac, but I do have a 4.0 V6. No engine mods... I got new tires coming on Monday, same size as current, just MTs 265/70/r17. :)

the speedo is probably off by about 2-3 mph at 60... of course this exponentially gets bigger but i think it would only be off 5-6 at 100 so i think ur in an ok ballpark... no radar gun is accurate enough to catch ur fault with the speedo unless ur blatantly speeding... sorry i dont have the LSD

as for engine mods, if u simply change ur intake and free up the exhaust, u gain probably 10-12 hp... doesnt seem like much but u get much better throttle response and u can tell the power is there when u can hear it (that goes for the conical filter and exhaust)... of course theres more noise comming from my intake tube because i did the throttle body mod but im not sure if it was completely necessary... i had seen others do it so just figured i would... so in a nutshell, conical filter w/stock intake tube, throttle body mod, and flowmaster 40 exhaust is what ive got... i cant spin the 32s (well 31.6s) punching the brake at a dead stop like i used to be able to with the 255s i was running but they still spin if i throw the rear end into a turn... the power isnt completely thrown off by the larger tires and is def still there

Did anyone ever figure out exactly what part number to give them when they ask for the original spring part number? I was reading earlier and got a little confused about a door number and a certain letter wouldn't match and something like that....
I am going to order 3 inch springs for the front as soon as I get the right number to send them!!

They asked for the tag number off of the oem strut... but I gave them the part number from the dealership. No issues.

Do you happen to know what that part number is?

For yours, it will be different... you have to run your vin by the parts department at Ford, and they'll give you the numbers...

i'm going to raise my x 3" up front and 2" in the rear. they asked for my stock coilspring s O.E.M part numbers. So i gave them the one on the tags. I shouldnt get any problems rihgt???? I want to put 16x10 wheels with 4" backspacing, does anyone know if it will fit good and not rub since i would have the extra clearance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm going to raise my x 3" up front and 2" in the rear. they asked for my stock coilspring s O.E.M part numbers. So i gave them the one on the tags. I shouldnt get any problems rihgt???? I want to put 16x10 wheels with 4" backspacing, does anyone know if it will fit good and not rub since i would have the extra clearance.

depends on the tire size. I have 265/75 tires on 16x8 wheels with 4" backspacing and i did 3" coils up front and it did rub pretty hard on turns. I did some trimming with a rotary tool and its not even noticeable and no more rubbing at all.

Back