Under dash LED lighting | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Under dash LED lighting

I wanted to do this for a long time, and I finally got some time last week. Very cheap only cost about $8.00 used 5 15,000 MCD 5mm Blue LEDs on each side, mounted on project boards that can be found at Radio Shack. I Highly recommend this, it gets a lot of attention and is a nice accent to any vehicle. This is practice for my chassis under glow project Im doing this spring. What do you guys think?

IMG_0101.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice job! I like the white lights a lot. How did you go about mounting them under the dash?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i tried double side tape and didn't work too well on the driver side, so i used adhesive sealant i had laying around and used that worked really well, i used tape to hold it up until the the sealant dried. i mounted the passenger side right where you did. The driver side i mounted them right beside the gas pedal
img5095kv5.jpg

as you can see here theirs a little 3" or 4" part thats kinda diagonal which point it really well

I just did some red ones under there. I dont have any pictures right now. I Bought the long stick looking ones from discount that has 9 l.e.d's in it looks really nice and bright. Comes on when you turn the parking lights on.

I like the looks! And as for your gauges, I know what you mean, I had a problem with them in the wrong spots, after I did some work to them. It is a MAJOR pain to try and get everything back how it should be.

That looks great!

i came up with a quicker less bulkier way to light the floor up . i got a couple of blue 194s on ebay , now run with me on this , i used one in each corner of under my dash so two passenger and two on the driver side looks hott i can get pics if intrested

sounds cool, ill be hooking mine up with interior neon, ill have to drop some pics..

Just did the same thing to my friends Mazda Speed 3, Same exact setup as I did in my Explorer, except we used red LEDs for his. 6 33,000mcd LEDs on each side.

IMG_0086-1.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0091-2.jpg

Length of PCB board

What is the length of the PCB board you guys are using, and where can I find some? I went to RadioShack and the biggest sizes they had was like 3"x3" which is obviously way too small. I'm looking to make mine just like yours, Mustang. Thanks.

looks pimp, kinda too bright though :D (which is good)

The pictures were a little over exposed but it is fairly close to the actual brightness.

What is the length of the PCB board you guys are using, and where can I find some? I went to RadioShack and the biggest sizes they had was like 3"x3" which is obviously way too small. I'm looking to make mine just like yours, Mustang. Thanks.

Just buy the largest board and use a Dremel to cut the board into small strips about 1" in width, that way you will end up with about a 1"x 8" piece, then i glued 2 together, so the strip was roughly 16" long.

How did you wire these up? I'm assuming the LEDs come on when the door is opened, correct?

How did you wire these up? I'm assuming the LEDs come on when the door is opened, correct?

No, both on my Explorer and his Mazda there are switches that turn on and off the lights. On my Explorer I have them on the center console and on his Mazda we hid the switches inside a compartment in the center console.

on mine i have the white led to turn on when the door opens and the dome light, i tied it behind the "dimmer" or "dome lights on", i dont remeber which color the wire was, use a test light

I got 'em too.

int8.jpg

Cold cathode though, not LED.

i tried double side tape and didn't work too well on the driver side, so i used adhesive sealant i had laying around and used that worked really well, i used tape to hold it up until the the sealant dried. i mounted the passenger side right where you did. The driver side i mounted them right beside the gas pedal
img5095kv5.jpg

as you can see here theirs a little 3" or 4" part thats kinda diagonal which point it really well

Where do you get the line to make then power from dome light, i have been trying to find it for some time a havent found it yet, i want to put my neons in, to light up with dome light.

The wire you need to tie into to get the lights to come on when the doors open is a black/blue wire, there are 3 of them under the dash. Use a multimeter to find the one.

Why dont you guys tie in a switch into the power supply you use and then mount the switch somewhere cool and turn them off and on or even how about a dimmer switch to turn the brightness down when driving and up when you get out to show off your x?? just a thouhgt ohh and as for cool place to hide switches i hide my power gain knob for my amp in my garage door opener box on the ceiling. its always fun when ppl roll up blasitn their music and they look over when i push the button open it and turn it up so they cant hear or feel their music. im now going to add a led up there to light it up itll be like 5 times more bad ass lol

Back