• Register Today It's free!

options for PCM tuning

blk94xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a question about the different options that I have for making a change to my PCM and doing some tuning.
I have an engine swap project that I am putting the finishing touches on. I have a 94 ranger engine swap project where I used basically a '96 explorer V8. I installed the E303 cam into the motor and I am using a manual transmission, so for one thing I need to tell the computer that the automatic is not there. Also with the E303 cam the engine is having some problems at idle (engine wants to die at normal idle so I had to bump it up).

I have contacted a local performance shop that gave me a couple of options. For $300 they can burn me a chip that will delete the trans controls and add some things for the tune in my particular setup that he thinks will help me out. If I want to bring the truck to them and let them tune it on the dyno and burn a chip for it the cost will be $550 but they will probably do a better job on the tune having the truck on the dyno. I think that it will be a diablosport chip but I forgot to ask. I think that this will just be a chip with a single tune in it, no switch to change between multiple tunes (again not sure). One thing I need to consider is that I had to make a custom box for mounting my PCM in the firewall of my ranger since that is where the explorer harness wanted the PCM. I don't know how big the chips are but I would rather not have to plug anything in to the back of the computer.

I know that there are a couple of respected guys on here that also do tuning like bamachips and henson performance. Since I would be going with them via mail order I am wondering if they would be able to do a good job of fixing my problems at idle just by knowing what my setup is and sending me a tune for it instead of having the truck there to try things. I like the idea of the ExCal2 plugging into the OBD2 port and reflashing the PCM with the tune (or 2, or 3 different tunes). I think it would cost about the same but again, no dyno.

So those are the options that I know of. Anybody else have additional suggestions or insight to using the single tune dyno vs. the multiple tune ExCal2 without dyno?

http://members.cox.net/ranger5.0/

you don't need a dyno to tune, with the x-cal 2 and a laptop your can data log everything you need to tune the car. Henson could get you real close to start with, and then you could record the data that he needs to look at, email him the file, and he could make changes from there.

oh, that's right. I hadn't thought about the ability to data log with the ExCal2. That would be another advantage of using it.

Back