whistle sound | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whistle sound

I am having my explorer checked for the very same noise on wednesday, hopefully i can have some sort of answer for you guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old thread, I know, but I stumbled upon it while searching for something else.

It sounds like there are two whistles being discussed -- (1)one that is very brief and occurs at startup, and (2)one that happens intermittently while driving at various speeds. I experience both of these on my '03.

Number (1) for me only lasts a second or so. It seems to only happen when I have the AC on at startup, so I assumed it was an AC-related belt thing. Like the belt or pulley aren't lined up quite right and make a little bit of noise as they "settle in" together. I hope that's what it is anyway. On my last Explorer (a '97) I had a timing chain going bad, and my trusted mechanic said there was a tell-tale noise at startup (sounded like this!). That's why I got rid of the 97, so hopefully my newer Ex doesn't have the same problem. No symptoms of a bad timing chain yet, so that's good.

Number (2) for me occurs at highway speeds and sounds like when you blow across the top of a bottle but very loud. I too thought it was from the windshield wipers, but it turns out it's coming from the driver-side door mirror. When wind hits it at the right angle, the air bounces around inside making the noise. Directions for fixing it can be found in TSB 06-14-8. I don't remember where on Ford's website I found that, but I'm sure if you poke you can find it.

Hope this helps anyone still suffering these issues!

Hi pitch whistle

Up here in Canada it's fairly cold right now and my 02X does this while driving under light throttle or cruise. Go a tad faster and it disappears.
I spoke with a friend at a Ford dealership and he advises that they receive lots of complaints about the hi pitched whistle and claims it is the alternator bearing.

Apparently out in the front of the engine like that it gets a cold blast coupled with the cold air movement from the fan.

Food for thought?

John

I have this whistle too in my 04 4.6
I have always thought it was transmission related.. like too much pressure causing a whistle or something as it only happens an an exact RPM.

I doubt its climate control related because it does not matter if AC or Heat is one and it changes with engine speed, not climate fan speed.

I don't think its intake related either as I have removed mine for testing.. still does it.

hmm

Ok maybe i'ma loser, but has anyone ever floored it not too long after starting up and heard ur intake whistle, like really loud? I love that:D. Idk if the 4.0's do it or not but my Mount only does it right after starting up

same problem here. I talked to a buddy of mine one day who works for Ford Service and he said it's the Throttle Body Phlenum Gasket?? hope i spelled that right. Anyway i just haven't had the time to get it fixed. But it happens on my 03 when it's cold and sounds like a high pitch whistle..exactly what u guys are describing. doesn't do it though when it's warmed up or on warmer days. HOpe this helps.

Whistle

I just had mine apart and examined the gasket and it looks fine. It's a tough rubber seal that fits into a groove. I was unable to order it from my parts guy. Might be a dealer only part.. If anyone locates it aftermarket plse post the part number. Mine appeared to be fine, so I cleaned the throttle body and reinstalled it.

Post your results if your change it...John

its probably your intake mine dose that in the morning too but i have the home made intake so its more of a loud sucking noise and really loud deap tone under hard acceleration. personaly i like it haha but i am a 16 year old so i like loud things haha.

deff not that on mine as it changes under throttle response

I have had the same noise 20-30 mph very light acceleration, let off the throttle and coast it goes away. push the throttle a little more and the buzzing increases with rpm then just goes away. I have found the buzzing noise comes from the tach. I removed the instrument cluster, disconnected all connections related to the tach, applied dielectric grease, reconnected and zip tied the connectors together. I had this noise atleast twice a week, now it has been almost 5 weeks with no more BUZZING.

Hope this helps, Chris

Hummm, will need to check that out.

Mine does it everyday and after it goes into overdrive.
It sounds like someone picking a spring. Defiantly somewhere behind the steering wheel.

My guess was it is related to a vacuum line.

It's the tranny fluid filter. There is a TSB on it. THe filter has only one fin instead of two and the whine is due to cold tranny fluid. Mine does it too. Won't hurt anything.

It only happens when it is cold, right?

I can't find the TSB, but it is there somewhere, I have seen it.

Through the vents too now...

only when its cold out and under light acceleration you can here a whistle sound, sounds like its coming from dash area when you let off pedal sound goes away,:confused: any clue?

I'd like to know the answer. That damn whistle drives me nuts.

I'm starting to think that something is coming apart... the sound is now coming through the two vents under the stereo also... this in addition to the cold air from the glove box - seems like the firewall is about to fall apart...:rolleyes:

I have the same whistle on my 03 Mountaineer. It happens when it is very cold and under certain RPM's - not traveling speed. It is most definitely coming from the dash area, possible from the vent area.

97 5.0 AWD

I also have the wistle under the dash, only happens when there is a crosswind from the passenger side. I have had a number of people sit in the
passenger seat (including me) and every time you move your head it sounds like it is coming from a different location. Have been searching for source for years and no luck yet. Checked everything from body seams to windshield gasket to door seals. No luck yet

I thought mine was tach related also

I use cruise control everywhere and in city driving (we have a road I go over everyday that has a bridge that goes over a rr crossing) I go up the hill on the bridge and the engine revs up to go up and there is a distinct buzzing noise coming from under the dash around the area of the steering wheel. I only hear it when the stereo is off. It is a low vvvvvrrrrrrr noise and when the rpms drop at crest of the hill it goes away, try to get your mech to go on a ride with you around 30-35 mph and on cruise up an incline and should get the noise if it the same.

I had the same whistle when it was cold, I really thought it was air flow related. I replaced my alternator (went bad), V-belt and idler pulley and the problem has not occured since. I don't know which of the 3 was the culprit.

JC

found whistle sound, its the alternator bearing, i have a 2003 windstar also
the windstar is my wifes and allways is parked in the garage. one night i left the van outside and the next morning it had the same sound. it was about 0 that morning. got out of the van and opened the hood and could tell the sound was coming from the alternator. the van is louder than the x. :D

is this a good thing or bad? found the sound hope the alternators last.
sound goes away after it warms up about 2-3 min

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a long trip coming from west ny, I had this whistle in my '04 4.6 with the cruise on at 60-70mph, high winds, and very cold. What I found was when I adjusted the speed or shut off the cruise control it would stop. Mine seems throttle plate related - maybe. Radio fixed mine :) for now. TSB's to read up on.
Jim

Back