• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid advice needed

jmatters

Reaction score
City, State
Raymore, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I was noticing that my automatic transmission in my 2002 Explorer was starting to shift hard and/or with hesitation, so I brought it in to a local shop to have the fluid and filter changed. I know, I should have gone to the dealer, like I did last time, which completely took away the problem, but I didn't.

Now, it downshifts hard (both when accelerating after turning and after coming to a complete stop). And, when it is cold, it doesn't want to shift into reverse from park, nor into drive from reverse.

I took it back to the shop and they couldn't make it act up and couldn't find anything wrong.

I looked at my owners manual and it said to use Mercon V ATF. When I looked at the Invoice, it had this:

ATF+4
(then on the next line and indented): ATF3 (then listed the amount used: 5 quarts?)

I don't quite understand- can someone help translate this. Basically, did they use the wrong fluid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is exactly what it sounds like. Get some merc 5 in there and problem (hopefully) solved. I personally am changing to amsoil atf. they say it is perfectly compatible.

EDIT: 5 quarts is just for a pan drop. It should be put on a machine and have atleast 15 quarts ran through it.

Welcome to this forum! go back to that shop, and complain that they used the wrong kind of fluid. Lubegard makes a friction modifier additive which you could add if they won't do anything for you.

Best case, the (bad) shop pays for (but does not do the work) to flush your tranny, replacing the incorrect ATF with proper Mercon V. I would probably go to a Ford dealership for this, if you have a good one available.

Worst case, the bad tranny fluid causes an expensive failure.

Avoid driving it, get it fixed asap. Good Luck.

If you can prove the wrong tranny fluid was used (and it sounds like you can), the bad shop can be held liable for the costs of the repair, but it might take the court's involvement.

Had two different buddies, with two different cars, had the wrong tranny fluid installed by a quick lube franchise kind of place. Both required tranny replacements. One got reimbursed, the other did not. Came down to rules of evidence.

This is exactly why I change all my fluids myself.

ok i work at a dealership and have worked at 2 others before this one... if u take it there to get it fixed right (which i highley suggest) u will have to pay for it.. and then u will need to fight the bad shop for the reimbursment... but i would def get it fixed quick... atf +3 and +4 is for dodge if im not mistaken.... and why they would mix two diffrent fluids im not qute sure.. but i wouldnt let them touch your truck ever again if i were u...

Yes, ATF4 and ATF3 (which isn't even made anymore) are Chrysler specific fluids.

Definitely get that out of there ASAP, and definitely talk to the shop manager/foreman and find out why Chrysler fluid was used in a Ford. I'd get your money back for the job, then take it to a competent shop and have the correct fluid installed.

pay a dealer to replace the fluid TODAY!!!!!! better to pay another 100+ bucks right now than the aggravation of suing the bad company for a rebuild....once the new fluid is in place...go back to the bad shop and good luck!!!..see if the dealer will save the fluid that is taken out for suing purposes if it comes down to it...goodluck buddy!!!!!

Back