Sloped body lift + SOA successful | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloped body lift + SOA successful

Remember, your AWD T case doesn't have any wires/sensors. 410 did a retro fit of a tone ring to make his speedo work.

Dad surprised me with the 4406 swap when I bought the truck. So the speedo/odom on a '98+ Explorer is from the rear axle ABS sensor?

Hmm, so it reads wheel speed (angular speed), which is the same regardless of gearing. So a taller tire = larger circumference = greater distance traveled per revolution = lower actual tangential speed.

[31.64" (now) - 28.87" (stock) ]/ 28.87" = 9.5%

DOH!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The speedometers of the 95-01's is calibrated more closely to a 30" tire, not the 15's 29" size. Regards,

have you found that the front end has stayed lower than the front or have you foudn that teh rear leafs have settled a bit mroe..and evened it out..

would you if you had the possiblitly to do it again.. go with a four inch suspension lift in the fron to match the SOA.. or just go again with the body lift adn TT

cause i have the option to go either way..its just the IFS..is 600 bucks.. just to get it

soa /// lift

have you found that the front end has stayed lower than the front or have you foudn that teh rear leafs have settled a bit mroe..and evened it out..

would you if you had the possiblitly to do it again.. go with a four inch suspension lift in the fron to match the SOA.. or just go again with the body lift adn TT

cause i have the option to go either way..its just the IFS..is 600 bucks.. just to get it

there has always been a little rake to it, but i like the way it looks. at first there it was 5" up front and 6" in the rear, but then I took out the overload spring and now it sits pretty level.

I would do this lift in a heartbeat over the IFS lift, because it is much cheaper ($150 + $50 = ~$200) and it has the same ground clearance anyway(IFS lift is all drop brackets, even for the torsion bars). Not to mention if you want to avoid vibes you need to get a new drive shaft for the IFS lift too which is even more $$$.

Just to clarify before I do this on my 95 4 door 4x4..

I wont have to do anything with the drive shaft...just use the hole that is farthest back on the new perch's?

Just to clarify before I do this on my 95 4 door 4x4..

I wont have to do anything with the drive shaft...just use the hole that is farthest back on the new perch's?

i can't guarantee anything but that worked great for me. my truck has 140K on it now(like 50K since doing it) and I have never had a problem, hardly any vibrations.

kick ass man thanks. I actually found my perchs at a local hot rod shop..goin to get them now and get started! Ill post pics when its done:thumbsup:

Can someone tell me the factory eye to eye shackle length??

We are going back to stock to offset a little of the lift in the rear.

THX!

Can someone tell me the factory eye to eye shackle length??

We are going back to stock to offset a little of the lift in the rear.

THX!

eye to eye I measured 5.5" on mine

Well..I got this truck with some of these "lift parts" already on it.
When we started on it and got to looking at it, right off the bat noticed a problem. It had what looks like an aal..but was bent downword like a triangle shape..and mounted on the back side of the leafs. The way these things were installed, it was basically "sandwiching" the bottom overload spring that is supposed to be flat. When I unbolted these things, it released tension..and some arch came back to the leafs.

Any idea what these things are? I know a pic would help, but the batts are dead:thumbdwn:

(did you sell the EB paneling already?)

Well..I got this truck with some of these "lift parts" already on it.
When we started on it and got to looking at it, right off the bat noticed a problem. It had what looks like an aal..but was bent downword like a triangle shape..and mounted on the back side of the leafs. The way these things were installed, it was basically "sandwiching" the bottom overload spring that is supposed to be flat. When I unbolted these things, it released tension..and some arch came back to the leafs.

Any idea what these things are? I know a pic would help, but the batts are dead:thumbdwn:

yeah thats an add-a-leaf... sounds like they cranked it down too much or it wasn't made right.... i say junk it, it will just make it ride rougher

any idea if this will work correctly on a first gen 1994 4door EB Ex?

yep. same concept. it works on anything.

sweet, i think thats what im gonna do XD guess i'll do a 2" spacer lift instead of the torsion twist?

yep. you don't have torsion bars.

At the risk of starting a debate... are there any real problems that come from doing a sloped BL? Nick said he hasn't had any problems, but does the slope increase wear & tear anywhere? (besides possibly needing longer drive shaft) What are the draw-backs to this system, besides that it's a modified BL?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RangerX has had his sloped for years with plenty of abuse. I'm pretty sure everything is still fine. You don't need a longer drive shaft since it's moving the body and not the suspension.

Back