Great dash mount bracket idea-opinions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great dash mount bracket idea-opinions?

bel4_20

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ExplorerXLT V8
Ok so I got a idea on where to mount my TomTom GPS in my truck but I'm not quite sure it's a good idea to put it there. My idea is to pull that vent I have circled on the dash out, head down to the machine shop at work and machine some aluminum round stock to fit the hole with a platform to mount my Arkon mount to. the only thing im worried about is how bad of an idea is it to take away that particular vent, I'm not even sure it works well to un steam the window. Once again I turn to you guys for good ideas and good input.:salute:

mount.jpg

dashshotpaint.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can make it work, go for it. Should be nice. Just make sure it is not in your direct line of sight.

The red one is your side window defroster, and you're in Canada, I think you need the yellow vent too... If not, I agree w/ Dozier...

Dozier the vent is off to the left hand side so it would be clear out of site. Donner the location I'm looking at is the vent on the dash so the red circle the yellow arrow is just to point out the vent that i circled, I guess I will have to test out to see just how well that side window vent really works or does not? maybe ill block it off for this week to see if it affects how the windows stays clear it is and will be pretty dam cold this week.

You don't want to be without that side defroster... you'll be wiping the window with your elbow all the time. How about that location by the cup holder but under the radio? Too low?

You don't want to be without that side defroster... you'll be wiping the window with your elbow all the time. How about that location by the cup holder but under the radio? Too low?

Yeah a bit to low, ill test it out this week by blocking it off on my drive to and from work, if it does not work out ill have to try making something to fit along the drivers side piller.

Well I had some good ideas as I brainstormed in the machine shop at work and this is what i came up with I hope you guys like it. And yes it does work to keep the window fog free!:thumbsup:

finalizedwithpaintjob.jpg

mountinventlocation.jpg

Bootingup.jpg

backseatview.jpg

Thanks for the reply's it made for some really good brainstorming.

Very very nice job, but I'm curious.. wouldn't that affect the way the vent worked in the first place?

Very very nice job, but I'm curious.. wouldn't that affect the way the vent worked in the first place?

If I did not hollow it out to allow the air through it might of but nothing the front panel vent would fix.

Hey Bel4 20 i gotta hand it to ya thats pretty cool....

That is Fanfreakingtastic! :thumbsup: My Jaw literally Dropped when I saw it. Very Nice Job!
The only problem I could think of is that it would be Very Very Visible to Inquiring Eyes. (I.E. Really easy to bust the window and just grab and Go.) No need to reach over anything. Maybe I am just too Paranoid. Living In "the Bad part" of Lansing will do that to a man. :cool: Nice job though. You could probably make some $$ For that if you wanted too. I would be interested if I had a GPS Unit.

Definate props for that :thumbsup:

I would also worry about "curious" eyes...

Damn I wish I had machine shop skills. Props to ya'. That is seriously nice work. I'd prepare for the crop of PM's that will be coming your way from people wanting them made.

Is the heated air from the heater an issue...?

I know when I got a new thermostat, with a flush and fill of the radiator, the heat coming out of the center dash vents was crazy hot. I could not keep my hand on the auto shift handle for long.

That is Fanfreakingtastic! :thumbsup: My Jaw literally Dropped when I saw it. Very Nice Job!
The only problem I could think of is that it would be Very Very Visible to Inquiring Eyes. (I.E. Really easy to bust the window and just grab and Go.) No need to reach over anything. Maybe I am just too Paranoid. Living In "the Bad part" of Lansing will do that to a man. :cool: Nice job though. You could probably make some $$ For that if you wanted too. I would be interested if I had a GPS Unit.

I thought of that to, and when I'm not using it, it comes out and into my glove box and the vent goes back in. As for the GPS it comes with me all the time.

That looks pretty slick. I have been using a nice high quality customized system made by Pro-Clip. I mount my Treo Phone, Ipod and Garmin GPS using their stuff. I have used them in my Taurus, F150 and am now ordering them for my new Explorer.

Check 'em out!

www.proclipusa.com

image.asp
image.asp

image.asp
image.asp

Back