Fabtech 3" spindle kit and tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fabtech 3" spindle kit and tires

ibunkerpeople

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Alrighty I talked to a shop down in Glendale, Extreme Conversions, who told me they can order the kit for 626.00 and install it for 500.00. Just had a few questions for anyone who has a spindle lift. Is it hard to install on your own if you have the proper tools? 500.00 seems like a lot and it's a chunk of change out of my wallet so if I can avoid it I'd like to.

Also I'm looking at new tires since I'll be getting the lift, BFG TA KO A/Ts or Cooper Discoverer S/T's both 31x10.50x15. For the people who have them how well do you like them? Any pros or cons to either? Both have good reviews. Also if anyone has other suggestions on tires I'm all ears. I'm actually wondering if I could go bigger once this kit is installed since I'll have a 3" suspension lift w/ a 2" t/t and warrior shackles.

Also anyone know where I could get a custom bumper made? I see a lot of people on the site who have baja style bumpers on their explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not hard at all. aal the rear with shackles and tt the front, you will be on your way to 35s. :)

A few years ago i had a shop put on 3" spindles with an add-a-leaf, and it cost an arm and a leg. If i were to do this again, i would definitely do it on my own. I still have never done suspension work on my own, but i know what it takes now and what to expect, and it just isnt worth the cost of having a shop do it. I also was not a member of the forum back then, but now with the help of the forum i would feel pretty confident in doing it myself.

As far as tires, you can fit 31s easily with just the torsion twist, quite possibly even without it, so with the spindles you should be able to fit 33s at least. The BFGs are great tires, i love mine, and there is a reason that they are so popular. The Coopers are also good tires, but i dont have experience with them.

My jaw dropped when the guy at the shop told me how much it would cost. lol

The kit also comes with 2" add a leafs, the sport is monoleaf if im correct so would that affect it in any way? I'm wondering if i need to go to a junkyard and pick up a 4dr multi leaf pack?

I'd get a 4door leaf pack, and then either put an add-a-leaf on or get shackles.

I got warrior shackles all ready and i take it i can go to any junkyard and get a multi leaf pack from a 4dr explorer which takes care of the rear and if i get 3" spindles with my torsion twist that solves the front right? sorry for the stupid questions just trying to get everything solved before i go through with this lol :p:

Yup, sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup:

is it complicated to install the 4dr multi leaf pack since the sport is mono? i've read a few things on here but nothing specific.

Back