saggin rear

tremec00

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eddie bauer
why does the rear sag on most explorers? looks bad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2dr Sports (01+) with multi-leaf springs sag badly too. The springs are just too soft for the weight they have to carry.

When I bought my 2001 2-door sport New, it was sagging on the lot! 30 miles on the clock!

Of course back then I didn't know that was up, and I took it back to complain, and they actually replaced the leaf spring under warranty, said that the u-bolts had slid slightly on the leaf spring so it was sitting slightly further forward (or back, whatever it was ) on the slope of the spring.

Probably easier than telling me "that's just the way they are, sir..." :)

Heck even the aftermarket springs sag with enough time on them.

I just put shackles on mine because the 4in lift springs on mine were sagging.

Ok, I have noticed a few times that mine is very low in the back, but at other times, it appeared normal. For 5 years I carried 100lbs of tools in the back. Perhaps a trip to the junkyard or make some shackles should help me out also. How about just adding an extra leaf to the existing ones? I seem to recall that they make "overloads" or something like that.

Yup you can get the pro-comp add a leaf kits to help boost a saggy bottom:D

i have a 98 sport, and a 00 xlt 4 door for parts. can i take the leafs out of the 00, and put them on my 98 with out any problems?

I don't see why not people here have done it in the past with out any problems.

The Leafs from an F150 did the trick for me. Made a big differance especially when fully loaded or towing. I also noticed that before the ass end would sag on excelleration which resulted in loss of torc/power. I highly recommend this mod, gives you 1-2 inchs lift also.

F150 Leaf Spring Sticky

Worked good for me too.

well im not looking for lift......yet :D. i would also like to know how much harsher the ride got. i know that 2 doors ride like a hay wagon to begin with, but this the difference really noticeable?

Mine rode like a marshmallow since new and skipped sideways over uneven bumps. With the new rear springs it rides much firmer, but the handling is completely composed and hasn't skittered sideways since.

The amount of lift isn't very noticeable if you level the front too. Mine needed less than 3/4" to level the front.

Anyone have specific recommendations on aftermarket springs for my 01 sport? I'd rather get some aftermarkets designed for off road use too, rather than OEM that is questionably so...

Back