5R55E--Mechanical or Electrical Problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E--Mechanical or Electrical Problem?

drmoore71

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
houston, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Z-71 suburban
I have a 2000 XLT 4x4; SOHC and 5R55E; 170,000 miles. For about the last 30,000 miles, from time to time, the transmission doesn't want to go into Drive from Park. It's not that the shifter doesn't move, it does that just fine. Drop it into Drive and...nothing. usually, scoot the shifter up to Neutral and back down to Drive and I am underway. Sometimes, I have to put it in Neutral, blip the throttle, and then down to Drive to go. I must stress that I have had NO OTHER SLIPPAGE IN ANY GEAR. I also have no CEL's and have not in about five years. I noticed the other day that when using the Cruise Control, If I shift into Neutral, the CC doesn't cancel itself, as it should. Do you think this is related? I am thinking (hoping) that there may be an electrical/computer problem which would merely require a component replacement rather than a mechanical issue which would require a rebuild. I only intend to keep this truck another 2-3 months, and would like to try and have this annoying problem repaired rather than foist it on whomever buys the rig from me. I also have about 2" TT and shackles and AAL on the rear, which is sagging a bit. I have wondered if there may be some sort of issue with the truck not sitting completely level which may be causing this problem. Any and all suggestions are appreciated and respected. Sorry for the long read.

doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only intend to keep this truck another 2-3 months, and would like to try and have this annoying problem repaired rather than foist it on whomever buys the rig from me.
First, I would check the shift cable adjustment because it's free. If it isn't that, then you may have misadjusted or faulty Transmission Range Sensor, the device on the side of the tranny that tells the PCM which gear position the driver has selected. Your shop manual has procedures for adjusting the cable and adjusting/troubleshooting the TRS.

BB--Thanks for the response, however, I don't really want to spend a bunch of money since I don't intend to keep this truck more than another month or two. How expensive would it be to perform these repairs? Can they be done in the driveway or would I have to have a transmission shop do it?

rwenzing--Thanks, I have already done the cable adjustment, but have never heard of the range sensor adjustment. I will look it up in my shop manual. How difficult is this to do?

Also, I neglected to mention that the indicator in the Instrument cluster that shows which gear the transmission is in usually sits to the right of any letter, rather than in the center of the PRND21. Would this have any effect on my situation? Thanks again!

doug

The factory shop manual shows a special tool for setting the TRS position. The cluster indicator position is easy to adjust with a small thumbwheel on the column but it has no affect on the problem you're having.

# 19 in my list of useful threads explains how to make adjustments for the shift indicator. You could do a valve body rebuild yourself. It's not the type of job which only a shop could do. Check the sticky thread called the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary for more information. It's possible to adjust the range sensor without a special tool. You could put it into reverse, and adjust the range sensor until you see the back up lights turn on. Check to see if it will start in park, and neutral after this.

Okay guys first off, thank you for your help up to now. I finally got out there today to do the continuity check shown in the shop manual. Right off the bat, I have a problem. There is no terminal #1 in the range sensor. There are only 11 pins in there. I can't find any continuity at all, but I am not sure if I am checking the correct pins since my part is different from the one in the illustration. It is not that there is a broken pin, there is a position for the #1 pin, but no hole for it to poke through. Additionally, there is no wire going to pin #1 in the wiring pigtail that plugs into the sensor. Have you any other ideas or can you please shed some further light on my predicament? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, the Manual mentions digit and non-digit instrument clusters. What does this mean. I hope one or both of you can help me.

doug

The 2000 5R55E has no wire in pin 1. You must be using some sort of aftermarket shop manual like a Haynes or similar that tries to cover a wide range of years with common information. Factory manuals are published for a particular year and model line.

Pin 2 at the TRS is common and is switched to a unique combination of wires at pins 3,4,5 and 6 in each TRS position. The PCM recognizes each combination as a shift lever position selected by the driver.

Yes, I am using a Haynes Manual. So, if it says to check continuity between:

1 and 4 in P or N

5 and 8 in N

2 and 3 in R

Should I just bump up one for each test like:

2 and 5

6 and 8

3 and 4

??? I am just lost here. Thanks again for your help.

doug

PM sent

Back