How do I know if I have the towing package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I know if I have the towing package?

matt194

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 limited
I have a 2001 Explorer limited. I was wondering how can I tell if I have the towing package.

Thanks,

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forums!

Is there a black hitch under the back bumper or just a ball on the bumper?

lalalalala.jpg

Notice the ball on my bumper, I do NOT have a towing package.

mine looks like yours where you just put the ball in the bumper. Does this mean I need the converter to make the trailer lights work properly?

No there's a hook up with a red nipple on it to the left of the back left leaf spring, inside the bumper/fender area. Pull that red cap off, and plug in the wiring (probably in the back compartment) to both the trailor and the school.

For our Explorer we had to purchase that wiring harness that plugged into the connector and then into the trailer from Ford. It wasn't included.

Or you could crawl underneath the truck (if you don't see or the previous owner hacked the wires off) and look at the tag on the rear differential. It will either say 3L73 (3.73 gearing with limited slip) or 4L10 (4.10 gearing and limited slip.) Hope that helps.

I did have the wiring harness in the back compartment. I just glad I didn't pay the ford dealership $130. Also would you recommend towing about 1500lbs on the bumper hitch? thanks for all the help

FYI, all 2001 Explorers with the 5.0L v-8 engine have the factory towing package. Towing limits are discussed in the owner's manual. Manuals can be downloaded for free at Dead Link Removed

What I am trying to figure out is, does the explorer towing package have the wiring harness for electric trailer brakes. I have had several F-150's with the factory towing package, and they had a much more sophisticated electrical system with extra relays and fuses, just for the trailer connector. I see very little of this on my 2001 Explorer. I think there are just 3 extra fuses and an auxillary relay in the left rear baggage area.

On edit: have since learned that wiring support for the 7-pin connector with trailer brakes began with the 2002 models. So, 2001 and earlier will not (under any circumstances) have factory wiring support for electronic brake controller. Many have added their own, or purchased aftermarket wiring harness from sources like www.etrailer.com to enable them to opeate electric trailer brakes.

Or you could crawl underneath the truck (if you don't see or the previous owner hacked the wires off) and look at the tag on the rear differential. It will either say 3L73 (3.73 gearing with limited slip) or 4L10 (4.10 gearing and limited slip.) Hope that helps.

What does this have to do with towing?

Any way I had no trailer hitch and saw no wires hanging but i did have the ball on the bumper like you stated you have. I was told to do the same look behind the drivers side leaf spring and see if you have a red plug cap. It is a cap on a set of wires very hard to see if it is dirty. Once you see the cap you at least now the wires are ran so you just need to buy the harness that connects from there to the trailer. You can use the bumper if its only 1500 pounds but i didnt feel safe so i bought a used trailer hitch off ebay and the wire harness off a great member off this site and that was it.

The tow package has nothing to do with a hitch. It's just a trans cooler, a limited slip rear, and a trailer wire prep. I'm pretty sure there is no brake controller.

What does this have to do with towing?

He wanted to know how to tell if he had the tow package and that was one of the ways I know how to look for it.

No need to crawl under the truck to see if you have a Limited slip, just look at the white sticker on the drivers door. Under axle it will have a D and then a number. Open Diffs just have numbers. The wire harness might be in the compartment with the lug wrench and bottle jack.

He wanted to know how to tell if he had the tow package and that was one of the ways I know how to look for it.

So what rear must you have to have this tow package? I have 4.10 open rear what does that mean?

I appreciate the info 1996XLT! :thumbsup:

That was just one of the options for gearing, and (correct me if I'm wrong) it was more common in the sports.

Mbrooks, I had heard that before(and forgot it), but I guess I like getting my back dirty.

The Tow package comes with 3.73, or 4.10 but both in limited slip.

That much I knew.

That wasn't for you ;) With an Open Diff you won't have the tow package. It's just a trans cooler, LS rear and, and a wire harness plug. If you want to tow, just get the biggest cooler you can, and you ill be ahead of the game. 4.10's are a good ratio, and since it is an open diff you could add a selectable locker.

This thread is kind of confusing and could use some real clarity. I am also looking for some info in towing. My 2001 xls has the red plug behind the bumper, trans cooler and the 3:73 limited slip.

Someone mentioned above something about trailer breaks.....does a seperate wiring harness need to be installed to operate the trailer breaks???:eek:

You have the towing package, and no, there isn't trailer brake provisions wired in, you will need to add a controller.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have the towing package, and no, there isn't trailer brake provisions wired in, you will need to add a controller.

Is that something "simple" that can be done over a weekend or should that be left to professionals???

Back