5-0 performance parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5-0 performance parts

Ok, this is just a question, (maybe more of a gripe).
Has anyone noticed that there are more performance parts, more readily available for the 4.0 V6 than the 5.0 V8? Im not looking to make make a race or drag truck, but would like a few extra HP. It took me friggin forever to even find a cold air intake, or headers for my '01 5.0. You would think parts would be more accessable for the 5.0 than the 4.0. Stumps me. Bout the best i could find was a MAC air intake and Torque Monster headers. If anyone else has noticed this and wants to gripe, or has any suggestions of where to find some other parts that will help me one the quest for more power please feel free to post. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, this is just a question, (maybe more of a gripe).
Has anyone noticed that there are more performance parts, more readily available for the 4.0 V6 than the 5.0 V8? Im not looking to make make a race or drag truck, but would like a few extra HP. It took me friggin forever to even find a cold air intake, or headers for my '01 5.0. You would think parts would be more accessable for the 5.0 than the 4.0. Stumps me. Bout the best i could find was a MAC air intake and Torque Monster headers. If anyone else has noticed this and wants to gripe, or has any suggestions of where to find some other parts that will help me one the quest for more power please feel free to post. :confused:

Lots of guys have done plenty of work on their 5.0s... The best headers and intake you could find were the TorqueMonsters and the MAC because those are arguably the best ones... Do a search around the site, somewhere this is a long list of mods available for the 5.0. Good luck :thumbsup:

EDIT: found it...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188596&highlight=mod+list

It was not untill I found this site and started to read the posts that I started finding more parts. Im still new and still reading and learning more just about every day. Just wondered if anyone else had the same problems as me before coming here.

With almost 109K I cant be TOO creative, but I have started looking to the future. Was thinking of rebuiding and maybe boring thirty over... Cobra manifold would be nice. Headers (although Im still looking to find a better deal than seven hundred for a set of torque monsters). Maybe a little head work and a light cam. Of course would have to do some kind of cat back system. I want a litte extra Umph without loosing driveability (this is my daily driver).

The 4.0 SOHC is limited to really bolt-ons. Once it's time to rebuild, we don't have different cams to choose from, let alone different Intake Manifolds....ect. So the 4.0's are limited as well.

Add-Ons After Headers

This is from our flyer that we send out with every set of Torque Monster Headers called:

"Add-Ons After Headers"

After installing Torque Monster Headers, these are Add-Ons that may appeal to your more Horsepower/Torque requirements.

Add-Ons: Stage 1

* K&N air filter stock element replacement, or
* K&N Cone element to replace stock Air Box.

* JBA Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 06239 (jbaracing.com or call 858-495-3395), Ford Racing wires or your preferred brand.
* Ford Motorcraft Spark Plugs or your preferred brand.
* 2 - MSD, Ford Coil Packs, 4-Tower, PN 8241, or your preferred brand (Accel, etc.).

* Install a Cat Back Exhaust System. However, make sure to install a system that will give you the required backpressure.
You may want to include a resenator in the same place as the factory system, right after the muffler. The stock computer
settings (o2 sensors) work better with backpressure. Consider, Dynamax, Flo-Pro, Gibson or Magnaflo.

These Stage 1 changes, along with Torque Monster Headers, should net you about 30-40 HP and about the same in TQ and should not require a chip change, yet. However, if you install a super free flowing Cat Back Exhaust System and a new MAC air intake at this point, you will need to chip/reprogram the on-board computer/engine management system.

Add-Ons: Stage 2

* 8 - Original Ford Motorcraft plugs, or your preferred spark plug manufacturer.

* 1 Set of 8 - Nology Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 014208001, or your preferred spark plug wire manufacturer.

* 2 - MSD, Ford Coil Pack, 4-Tower, PN 8241
* 1 - MSD Digital DIS-4 Plus, PN 62152
2 - MSD Tach Adapters, PN 8912 “Tach adapters must be installed with MSD Digital DIS-4 Plus.”

* MAC Air Intake System or preferred manufacturer, complete replacement for stock Intake unit.

* 16 - Ford Racing, Roller Rocker Arms, PN M-6564-B351
* 1 - Ford Racing, EFI Heat Spacer/Phenolic Spacer, 1" thick, PN M-9486-A53 Fits between upper and lower manifolds to help dissipate heat
and significantly increase performance. This item can be added in Stage 1 without worry of having to chip the engine.
You can add another 5-10 hp and the same in torque to Stage 1.

* Exhaust system from the CATs to the rear bumper. Your choice, many ways to do it. If you have more
than 100,000 miles on the vehicle, replace the catalytic converters. Order from Ford.

* Reprogram your on-board computer/engine management system. Contact "http://www.bamachips.com" or your
preferred retailer for your needs. This is a “Must Do” at this point!

These are Stage 2 Changes, along with Torque Monster Headers, should net you about 55-65 HP and about the same in torque.

Add-Ons: Stage 3

* Supercharger: Powerdyne, Eaton supercharger or preferred supercharger manufacturer. Purchase the Eaton Supercharger from Explorer Express (explorerexpress.com or call 888-397-5673). They also have loads of other things which may catch your eye for your Explorer or Mountaineer.

* Stroker engine: 331, 342 or 347 cubic inch are the most popular. Purchase from Coast High Performance (coasthigh.com), Ford Racing or your preferred manufacturer.

* Transmission: Rebuild the Transmission with a shift kit, etc. Baumann makes a great shift kit for the Explorer transmission.
This can also be done in Stage 1 or 2. The reason it’s in Stage 3 is because it’s a big ticket item unless you do it yourself.

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

i don't really support putting MSD, or Accel coils on new vehicles unless you're running a large cam set up or forced induction. The stock ones are ussaly very good. I do however belave in older cars redoing the ignition system is a good idea but mainly for economy reasons. I don't consider it a HP gaining upgrade. $ for $ you arent gaining much, maybe like 1/2hp from the swap. Also they ussaly take away from spark plug life.

The 4.0 SOHC is limited to really bolt-ons. Once it's time to rebuild, we don't have different cams to choose from, let alone different Intake Manifolds....ect. So the 4.0's are limited as well.

Supersix offers reground cams.

i got a 5.0 because the 4.0s dont have as many performance parts, that funny :D

i got a 5.0 because the 4.0s dont have as many performance parts, that funny :D

You are right. The 5.0 has TONS more mods available for it then the 4.0 V6 does. Yes, most of them are geared towards Mustang's but allot work just fine on the Explorer's also. All I had to do to get that Trickflow Street EFI intake manifold and 75mm SN-95 Mustang TB to work with the Explorer was do a custom vacuum and PCV assembly and fabricate a custom throttle cable hookup. While most of this stuff isn't exactly drop-in, it isn't hard to modify and install it either. I remember back 7-8 years ago when I did the custom XB-1A supercharger on my old 00 5.0 X there were a few items that didn't fit just right, but once I modified them they were perfect.

I suppose a person's interpretation of "availability" does have to do with ease of drop-in which could be why Jayson looks at things the way he does.

I've seen a lot of people's version of "availability" to be if the manufacturer lists it as fitting explorers :sad:

You are right. The 5.0 has TONS more mods available for it then the 4.0 V6 does. Yes, most of them are geared towards Mustang's but allot work just fine on the Explorer's also. All I had to do to get that Trickflow Street EFI intake manifold and 75mm SN-95 Mustang TB to work with the Explorer was do a custom vacuum and PCV assembly and fabricate a custom throttle cable hookup. While most of this stuff isn't exactly drop-in, it isn't hard to modify and install it either. I remember back 7-8 years ago when I did the custom XB-1A supercharger on my old 00 5.0 X there were a few items that didn't fit just right, but once I modified them they were perfect.

I suppose a person's interpretation of "availability" does have to do with ease of drop-in which could be why Jayson looks at things the way he does.

Rob-
Forgive me here-
but you forgot EGR mods needed.
Sorry to be picky, but after fighting it myself I find it an unnecessary short cut to eliminate the EGR.
Some guys will need it fitted if they want to drive on the street. ;)

Rob-
Forgive me here-
but you forgot EGR mods needed.
Sorry to be picky, but after fighting it myself I find it an unnecessary short cut to eliminate the EGR.
Some guys will need it fitted if they want to drive on the street. ;)

Oh yeah, I did that too. Hehe. I figured I would forget something.

As for needing EGR, it all depends on where you are from and how emissions testing is done in that state.

yea its not a bolt on, I dont think anything really was. Even parts meant for it didnt fit. Simple things like heads and cam is all you really need. The upper/lower, TB, and MAF are decent for factory I think, and most performance needs. I left my upper and lower intake with the TB alone unless I went to some funky box intake and decide to shift at over 7000rpm. I just upgraded the MAF meter since the stock might max out plus it was too small :D. I was also thinking about the trans, the 4R70W also likes more abuse.

Anyone out there can buy the Eaton supercharger and bolt on some heads, cam and obviously upgrade injectors etc, and toss in some headers and EASILY hit over 350hp flywheel after tuning.

I think it's been tried before, but maybe we should put together a list of parts for other vehicles that fit 5.0 Explorers. Maybe a mod start a thread as a stickey where it can be updated as things are proven to work. If the thread were to get too opinionated (as they all do) the mod could clean it up.

With almost 109K I cant be TOO creative, but I have started looking to the future. Was thinking of rebuiding and maybe boring thirty over... Cobra manifold would be nice. Headers (although Im still looking to find a better deal than seven hundred for a set of torque monsters). Maybe a little head work and a light cam. Of course would have to do some kind of cat back system. I want a litte extra Umph without loosing driveability (this is my daily driver).
Don't bother w/ the Cobra intake....it's almost identical to what you have already. In fact, most Mustang guys grab Explorer/Mountaineer intakes instead of forking over more $$ to get the Cobra, especially since the new FRPP Cobra intakes are made in China and are junk (more casting flash and ports don't always line up correctly). IIRC you also have a 65mm TB from the factory. The largest you'd want to go on an N/A application is 70-75mm on a H/C/I vehicle.

As for other mods, your choices are unlimited if you look at Mustang parts instead of Explorer stuff. You've already got a great platform to start with in your 01 long block. You've got GT40 P heads, which actually flow better up to .500 lift than the GT40 Cobra heads (3 bars instead of 4). If you had them reworked and put 1.90/1.60 valves in them, they would flow as well or possibly better (depending on extent of porting) than the FRPP GT40 X heads.

One of the downfalls of your stock setup is the cam. A stock 5.0 HO cam would be a big improvement, but I'd recommend the TFS Stage 1 cam w/ the split lift/duration. Stay away from the Ford letter cams (B, E, F, etc.)....they are outdated technology. I'm running the E cam in my 90 stang and it seems like it leaves a lot of power on the table.

If you have the money to get a stroker built, do it. A 331 has an almost stock rod ratio and will have more longevity over the life of the motor. A 347 could yeild more power, but may not be quite as durable. Either way, get better heads (AFR's, Twisted Wedge's, etc.) and a cam that's built for more cubes if you go that route.

Your main issue looks to be finding a high flowing exhaust setup w/o having to go custom. To the forum: How much trouble is it to go w/ a set of Mustang long tubes and then fab up the rest from there? Mustang long tubes can be had for mid-$200's and Magnaflow Hi-flow cats can be had on Ebay for $55 each.

Oh, and on that list of mods previously posted: The phenolic intake spacer is not NEARLY worth the time and money you spend installing it. I didn't notice any power increase with it, but had to have it to clear my tall FRPP valve covers.

<--90 Mustang LX 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I never got the idea of the spacer, one guy did a dyno and gained about 7ft/lbs of torque on a 400 hp engine. Mustang headers will not fit at all on the passenger side. Closest non Exploder manifolds might be off a 70s 5.0 Maverick. For a pile of crap get the Motorsport headers, I have those and I think the idiot welding them up was blind. I personally wouldnt touch the intake, maybe a cold air kit etc.

Back