Miles per Tank of Fuel 99-01 6 cyl auto | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Miles per Tank of Fuel 99-01 6 cyl auto

vacuumbed

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Limited AWD
Hey everyone,
I'm just wondering how many miles per tank of fuel I can expect out of the following Explorer.

1999-2001 6 cyl., 5 speed auto, Four wheel drive.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get between 275-290 avg on a tank. That is avg mpg city & hwy driving. I can't complain about it. That's on a Sport with a 17.2 gal tank here in the mountains.

On my 94, my personal best full tank was 444 miles on a 19.4 gallon tank.

Keep in mind that Sports and 4-Doors have different size tanks.

which v6?

My 4door 4x4 OHV V6 stock would get about 17mpg at best.
But my wife had a sport 4x2 SOHC V6 that we could get 23mpg out of.

When I filled up last night I had 263 miles out of 17.49 gallons (I have a 21 gallon tank), which is about 15 mpg. Not horrible, but not that great. But you also have to consider that it's winter and I like to let my Ex warm up real good before I go anywhere. Oh, and I have a tendency to hit the gas at a light as if I were in a drag race. :burnout: I really need to quit doing that, it kills my mpg.

Mine is a 2000 4x4 xlt with the SOHC, 31 10.50 x 15 BFG ATKO's, and 3.73 gears and I get about 340-360 miles per tank, mostly city, consistently. This is according to the GPS.

doug

Back